Cupcakes Laid Out As Butterfly? How To Manage 60-65 Of Them?!

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 9 Jul 2015 , 5:10am by johnson6ofus

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 7

Alright really hoping for some advice, how can I lay approx 60-65 regular (NOT mini) cupcakes on a board in a shape of a butterfly? Any idea what size board I would need? 

The below is so cute but it has approx 41 cupcakes, and the wings are minis.

http://www.icreativeideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DIY-Beautiful-Rainbow-Butterfly-Cupcake.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

6 replies
Momof5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof5kiddos Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

when i need to determine a layout, i use the empty cupcake liners and lay them out on a board to get a general idea--hope this helps:)

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 7

Your link isn't working.

Look at the picture of the 41 cupcakes as a guide.  Take 60-65 cupcake liners and follow the original design to use the 41. Now start adding rows while maintaining the same shape.

I cannot get pictures to attach so I have set up a Pinterest account to shows pictures when they are part of a response. I am even having trouble attaching photos there.

If you look on my Pinterest account, I laid out 65 cupcake liners for you. The liners take up 37 inches wide by about 28 inches long so your board needs to be bigger than that. You can play around with the shape.

Www.pinterest.com/squirrellycakes/butterfly-cupcake-liners/

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

Your link works now but mine doesn't. 

Pinterest.com/squirrellycakes

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much SquirrellyCakes! This is perfect! Thank you again. 

Looks like I can make a board with HD moving box...but any idea how to cover it for transport fully decorated? Its approx 42x18" 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 7

The measurement was about 37×28 and your board is only 42×18.  

An option would be to have plywood or masonite/pressboard cut to the size you need like maybe 30-32×39-42. Cover it with food safe paper or vinyl tablecloth staple gunned to the back of your board. You can buy these at dollar stores. Or use another material.

Normally I would use toothpicks on the outer perimeter of the cupcakes and cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap sits on the toothpicks not the icing. Or you could cut and tape together bakery boxes taped to the board - to act as a big cover.

You are going to put icing under each cupcake to adhere them to the covered board, right?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 5:10am
post #7 of 7

I wouldn't trust this to anything other than Masonite, covered as squirrelly described! I think Home Depot sells it fairly cheap and can cut it down to size. Extra pieces can be used for future cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%