Help Please- I Have Been Asked To Do Something I Don't Know

Decorating By Knoxle Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 10:47pm by Apti

Knoxle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Knoxle Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 10

Hello, My friend has asked me to make her a cake for daughter's  birthday. She has asked for buttercream under fondant as she prefers the taste.....I have never used buttercream I always ganache. I  am scared it will ruin the look of the cake as I am only a beginner. I have been googling and have found I should use a crusting buttercream?  Any help, informations or tips will be greatly appreciated!!! 

9 replies
ohash01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohash01 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:04am
post #2 of 10

I have used Ermine Frosting, French BC, SMBC, and American BC under fondant, all depending on the texture/flavor I was going for.  I probably wouldn't do the Ermine again because it was a little too "squishy".  I've never used a "crusting" buttercream because I personally really dislike shortening-based frosting.  It all works out really well.  Just make it is as smooth as you would the ganache and plop that fondant right on top.  You will have to be a bit more gentle if you are using a fondant smoother on it because I've noticed that if I'm being aggressive, the fondant might shift a little around the base of the cake.  But again - if you're covering it with a border, no biggie.

Danely81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danely81 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

Hello !

What do you mean ruin the look of the cake?

Now for buttercream is all a matter of preference. I prefer Swiss buttercream in taste and to work with.  I feel the cakes come out with sharper edges.  Swiss buttercream gets somewhat hard when chilled.  Its not as hard as ganache once its set but I find that you can work with it almost the same way you do with ganache.  The only real advantage crusting buttercream has its that it holds to hotter temp if the event is outdoors.  And that is if you use shortening to make it.

Knoxle Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:04am
post #4 of 10

Thank you for your time in replying to me.

It is winter were I am 17c so heat wont be an issue. 

I am just very concerned I will end up with lumpy buttcream and therefore my fondant looking terrible on top. I tried to use buttercream on my daughter's cake 5 years ago (as the only icing) and it looked awful, I found it so hard to spread on and get it smooth.  That was when i switched to Ganache and fondant for all my girls birthday cakes

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:14am
post #5 of 10

I use SMBC under fondant all the time.   Don't really care for the taste of the crusting buttercream.  It is pretty much the same process to get it smooth as the ganache.  

ohash01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohash01 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:55am
post #6 of 10

Frost it first, get it as smooth as you can, then stick it in the fridge for a little bit to somewhat harden it.  You can then slightly warm your frosting spreader in warm water, wipe all the moisture off, and smooth even more.  This method kind of messes with the colors in dyed frostings and makes it "swirly", but that won't matter if it's covered in fondant.  This melts it ever-so-slightly and makes it fill in any minor dips or uneven places.    

Knoxle Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:09am
post #7 of 10

Thanks again everyone, so I now won't be using crusting buttercream :) and will go with one of the others mentioned. Fingers crossed I can master it this time like ganache :)  

Mnay thanks again for all your time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 10

i make crusting buttercream with butter and it's great

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 10

Knoxle, if you found your buttercream lumpy perhaps the butter or shortening or both needed to be creamed before adding the other ingredients. Or maybe your powdered sugar was lumpy due to humidity and needed sifting before use. And if it was difficult to spread, it likely needed more milk, cream or whatever other liquid you use to thin it out.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @Knoxle on 22 hours ago

Hello, My friend has asked me to make her a cake for daughter's  birthday. She has asked for buttercream under fondant as she prefers the taste.....I have never used buttercream I always ganache. I  am scared it will ruin the look of the cake as I am only a beginner. I have been googling and have found I should use a crusting buttercream?  Any help, informations or tips will be greatly appreciated!!! 

I'd stick with what you know and tell the friend that you will put buttercream as the FILLING.  Best of both worlds.  Additionally, if you wish, you could provide pretty little bowls (or 2 ounce plastic cups) of buttercream for those guests that desire more buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%