Trying To Create Cedar Siding For A House Cake

Decorating By spantchr Updated 7 Aug 2015 , 1:44am by spantchr

spantchr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spantchr Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to create the texture of cedar siding on a house cake.  I cannot find a textured mat or rolling pin any where.  I ordered cedar siding for a dollhouse and put it together, covered it with plastic wrap, but the line between the cedar is quite faint.  I am hoping to find something better.  Any suggestions?  Thank you so much.

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe I can get you started here and others will chime in.  How big is the house you're trying to make?  Would it be too difficult to cut the boards individually and place them or roll out a larger piece of fondant and make the impression yourself with a ruler?  I would also consider using the doll house and just go over the faint impression to make it deeper.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 7

At first I thought the dollhouse was plastic, as I've seen quite few items with wood grain in plastic, but then realized you're using the actual wood. Unless you're making a life sized house, the scale of the grain would be vastly different, and big when you need small detail, so I'd look for something smaller, and plastic.  Go to a toy store and look for plastic items with wood graining. I almost always find something that works at Toys R Us or Target. 

If you can't get to the store, you could always try using the wood, sealed, without the plastic wrap, since that will reduce the impression of the cedar you're using for a pattern. Try sealing the cedar from the dollhouse with clear coat spray paint (there are edible clear coats, tho I'm not sure how well this would work) then when dry, rub the cedar pattern mold with hands slightly coated with shortening OR dust the cedar plank with cocoa powder or cornstarch, depending on base color, and mold directly on the fondant. Cocoa could even add depth to the method you're currently using, or making a wash with brown color gel & your quick drying thinner of choice, vodka, lemon extract, etc. Brush a thin coat over the patterned fondant, letting color settle into the shallow grooves, allowing extra time to dry.  I use the cake or whipped cream flavored vodka to thin gel colors, as it smells cake-ish. The lemon extract dries so fast it clumps for me.

FINALLY, I've seen wood textured rollers that you could run over bigger sections of fondant prior to cutting planks. Check the usual online suppliers.

Good luck!

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 7

FYI- There are wood patterned rollers at hardware stores for liquid wallpaper, some with very deep texture. Check there too, perhaps. 

best wishes...

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 7

Be sure to check the paper crafting area of hobby stores. They often have plastic items that create texture.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spantchr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spantchr Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 1:44am
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I appreciate all of your help.  Sometimes it becomes such a challenge to create a piece of a cake.  It is so nice to seek the advice of peers who can offer their expertise.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%