Help! My Cupcake Cases Keep Peeling Away!

Baking By Laurenbem1 Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 1:05pm by SquirrellyCakes

Laurenbem1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurenbem1 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone...

I've been making cupcakes for a few months now and they was going perfect until a few weeks ago

But now EVERYTIME I bake them when they start to cool the cases are peeling away from the cupcakes, I can't work out where I've gone wrong..I use the same cupcake cases and recipe as always

Does anyone know why this is or what I can do to prevent this? 

Maybe I need another recipe or am I mixing the mixture too much?

Any suggestions would help!

5 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 6

The cupcake liner manufacturer has likely changed the product. I remember back about 10 years ago this was a complaint on this site. I think we discovered the issue was some sort of silicone or special treatment of the paper liners.

Funnily enough, we never had this problem with the cheaper liners, the ones that come in white or multi pastel colours. It was the patterned or decorator papers we had issues with.

The only other thing I can think it might be is if you have ever used those same muffin tins with any of the many non stick baking pan sprays. I have heard of these causing issues even though the pans were washed after the sprays were used.

cakebaker3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker3 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 6

Is it very humid where you live...I have had this happen to me on very humid days.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 6

This seems to be an ongoing problem and believe me, it has happened to me so many times I have researched the bejeebers out of the subject.  No one has a definite answer.  I have asked the older generation and as SquirrellyCakes said, it didn't seem to be such an issue with the plain cheap papers.

Not all papers are the same therefore different things work with some papers and not with others.  I have found that batter with a great deal of oil will cause separation especially if the paper is glassine or waxed.

I should also preface that I bake cupcakes the morning I need them so they don't dry out or have less chance to pull away from their liners.  I realize not everyone can do that so the below may not be helpful but I just thought I would share what I have learned.

Some things that I have learned that might be helpful are:

-filling the cups a little more where the cupcake bakes over the edges will help keep the liners in tact.

-do not wrap tightly or store in air-tight container because the trapped moisture leads to the papers pulling off.

-taking the cupcakes out of the tins one minute after they come out of the oven so moisture does not set-in between the liner and the pan.  I put them on wire racks to allow air to the bottom.

-using a thicker type of liner (I love the Siege brand, I have had less trouble with these liners than any other; I purchase them from here:  http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cupcake-papers-wraps/standard-cupcake-linerspapers-baking/51/629/1602/?sort=0&y=Brand&x0=383

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 6

I suddenly started having that problem (did not seem to matter on recipe or brand of cases) and so switched to foil cases - problem solved. I now use the foil ones exclusively. Maybe try them?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 6

I have made several dozen cupcakes recently with both dollar store liners and Wilton wrappers and didn't have this problem. I leave the cupcakes to cool completely in the pan. Some I have frozen iced. Some have sat overnight iced, in a box. For home use some have sat in boxes and containers in the fridge or on the counter. Sometimes the boxes and containers were also bagged. Still the wrappers remained intact. All of these were made with from scratch recipes. I must just have been lucky - at least so far, knock on wood...fingers crossed...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%