Why Does It Take Forever To Bake In The Wilton Aluminum Cake Pans, And It Comes Out Dry?

Baking By Mshepard83 Updated 6 Jul 2015 , 7:06am by Apti

Mshepard83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mshepard83 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 3:44am
post #1 of 3

I have two of them, 6" each, and every time I use them (I put them in the oven at the same time on the middle rack), it takes about 45 minutes before the cake finally finishes. By that time though, the cake comes out pretty dry. I usually use wet strips of an old towel around the outside to make it level, but I do that with all my other cake pans that aren't made the same way and the other cakes come out great. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong with them. Thank you for your advice!

2 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:04am
post #2 of 3

It is probably not the pans.  I'm a hobby baker and use my Wilton round pans ALL the time with no problems.   I also use Wilton Bake Even strips, but not on the smaller 6" pans.

If you have different cake pans made by different manufacturers, you WILL notice a difference in how each pan will perform compared to the "other" pans.  Example:  A 6" Magic Line pan will back VERY differently than a 6" Wilton pan.  If you are used to using one or the other, you'll learn to make the adjustments so each cake comes out just right.    A lighter colored pan will cook different than a darker colored pan or a glass pan, or a silicone pan, or a pan from 1970. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:06am
post #3 of 3

"bake" not "back"  (CC MODERATORS!!! WE NEED AN EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%