Piano Keys Inside Cake

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 7 Jul 2015 , 4:52am by kns93

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 12

I'd like to make a round cake that revels piano keys when you cut it.  Has anyone attempted this before?  I saw a picture of one in a magazine and I've always wanted to try it.  I'm assuming it is the same technique as the American flag inside a cake but I'm not exactly sure since I've never made that one either.  Any ideas would be appreciated. The American flag cake looks like it might be red and white layers stacked with a blue layer inserted in the top layer.  Am I on the right track to make?

11 replies
cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 12

if you google checkered cakes..  this is pretty much what you'd do.  I would make 3 white cakes (or however many layers you want) and back 2 extra black cakes for the keys. instead of alternating like the checkered, I would leave the bottom white cake whole, then cut my circles out of the other 2 cakes, and fill them with the cut circles of the black cake.. placing the 2 black layers directly on top of each other.  I wouldn't ice in between the layers of black (unless it's black icing to go with it). if you did this, when you cut in, you should see (from outside in) white, small black, small white, small black, then white, with your bottom all white...  hope that helps..  not sure if the explanation is clear enough.

bvwilliams Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 1:01am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, cupkakesp.  I'll have to try that.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:35am
post #4 of 12

Here is one I just did for fun.  Might be able to play with it to look more like piano keys.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3345223/piano-key-cake

bvwilliams Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, yortma!  That's what I'm looking for.  How did you do that?  Will you give me instructions?

yortma Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 12

I am actually trying another one right now - I thought the dimensions were a bit off on the first one.  (I love a challenge and have some free time).   I couldn't post more than one picture at a time last night, so I will try to post the technique again today.  If it doesn't work, maybe a PM will work  

bvwilliams Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:22am
post #7 of 12

I'm excited to see your next one. I thought the first attempt was great. Yes, please post instructions or PM me.  Thank you

bvwilliams Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:39am
post #8 of 12

Quote by @yortma on 3 hours ago

I am actually trying another one right now - I thought the dimensions were a bit off on the first one.  (I love a challenge and have some free time).   I couldn't post more than one picture at a time last night, so I will try to post the technique again today.  If it doesn't work, maybe a PM will work  

I saw your picture tutorial

bvwilliams Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

I saw your picture tutorial and your 3 key piano cake looks great.  I would really love step-by- step instructions to go with your pictures.  I already know 2 people that I would like to make this for. 

yortma Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:56am
post #10 of 12

The photos are up and I figured out how to post a series.  This second cake I made has more keys, and they are narrower and placed better I think.  A little busier, and a little more work, but more maybe a bit "piano-like".  The technique is essentially the same for both.  Can adjust it to your own design.  You could use more or fewer layers or any diameter desired. For the one pictured I used 2 7" white cakes and 1 7" dark chocolate cake.  All were 2" tall.  One of the white cakes I  happened to have in the freezer, and it was much easier to work with the cake that had been previously frozen and was still cold.  It helped to put the cakes in the freezer in between the steps to make them easier to handle.

Level and tort each white cake to 2 1" layers.  (4 total).  Put in freezer.

Level and tort the chocolate cake to 3   3/4" layers.  Cut a round circle out of the middle of each.  I used a 3" cutter for the 7" cake - slightly less than half the diameter.  Put in freezer.  These rings will be the black keys.

To create the cutouts in the white cake to fit the black key "rings",  Mark 3/8" on the round cutter (I used a piece of pink freezer tape) to know how far to cut into the cake.  place the first white layer on a cake plate. Press the circle cutter into the center up to the mark (you don't want to go all the way through).  Leave the cutter in place, and using the Agbay (or sharp knife)  horizontally slice 3/8 " down from the top surface, meeting up with the cutter all the way around.  lift off this 3/8 " deep ring.  Clean it up with a sharp knife if needed.  Frost the surface with a very thin layer of frosting.  

Place one of the black key rings into place. Gently press it into place.    Frost this surface with a very thin layer of frosting.

the next 2 white layers will have cutouts on both sides.  

Place a layer of white cake on a board, and use the circle cutter and agbay to cut the 3/8 " deep ring to be removed, but don't remove it yet.  (Need a flat surface while working on the other side).  Put a board on the top and flip the layer over.  repeat on the other side cutting out and removing the peripheral ring.  Carefully flip this onto the frosted surface of the cake in progress.  Now remove the precut ring from the edge which is facing up.  lightly frost, place the next chocolate ring, frost, and repeat.  The final white cake layer will only have the cut out on one side (the down side).  Hope that makes sense!

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3345293/piano-key-cake

bvwilliams Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 2:13am
post #11 of 12

Thank you, yortma.  I can't wait to try this. 

kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 4:52am
post #12 of 12

This is awesome!!  Thanks for the tutorial!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%