Deep Colored Wafer Paper With Petal Dust?

Decorating By AmberEileen Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 10:46pm by costumeczar

AmberEileen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberEileen Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to get a deep eggplant color as well as a deep wine color for wafer paper flowers on my wedding cake. Here is my Cake Rendering to help show you what I'm after. I have never used wafer paper before though I understand how to build the flowers – the coloring is the issue.

I read you can print the color on them using edible ink printer or airbrushing – both of these will cost more than I was hoping to spend, however. I tried using gel food coloring straight, then mixed with a clear alcohol. It turned out TOO saturated and a bit gloppy. Perhaps I should try it in light layers instead?

The other option I thought of trying was petal dust (perhaps mixed with vegetable oil?) but I’m afraid it might not get dark/saturated enough. My Google searches for truly deep colored wafer paper hasn’t turned up much - I mostly see the lighter, brighter versions.

Have any of you accomplished the look I’m going for using the petal dust or another inexpensive method I haven't thought of/tried? 

3 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 4

I did these with wafer paper and dusted them with straight petal dusts after they were made. They started out totally white.  I found that how succesful you are with the color depends on the type of petal dust more than anything else. For some reason the FDA-approved "edible" dusts did NOT work as well as the non-toxic regular dusts in the little containers. I thought it would be the other way around, but that's my experience. If you do a few coats of dry color it should work out, but it probably won't be as dark as if you did it with gumpaste. The texture of the paper resists the color to a certain extent. Sorry for the listing link, I don't think there's a way to add a photo on a post here anymore.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/173185766/one-wafer-paper-flower-for-cake?ref=shop_home_active_12&ga_search_query=wafer

You can also color crisco and rub that into the paper to color it, then dry dust it later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%