Fondant Noob

Decorating By LadyGretchen83 Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 12:11pm by costumeczar

LadyGretchen83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyGretchen83 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 6:35am
post #1 of 2

Sorry if this was covered before, I have a quick question regarding Rolled Fondant:

I have covered my Cake Board with Rolled Fondant (white) and am making a two-tiered cake with Buttercream Frosting. Can I frost the cake on the Fondant-covered cake board (using baking paper underneath and then pulling it out once set for a clean board) and put in the fridge for Cuttercream to set? Or is that not a good idea for the Fondant on the cake board? I am not sure if I will be able to first frost the cake, refrigerate and then transfer to the board (worried, that the cake would fall or something while trying the transfer).

I know it's not a good idea to put fondant in the fridge, however if I do what is the recommended max time I could leave in the fridge before it causes problems? For instance, could I allow the cake to set in fridge for half an hour with no problems?

TIA

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 2

I put fondant cakes in the fridge overnight and longer with no problems. If you're working at home the humidity in a home fridge isn't as high as a commercial fridge would be, so if the cake "sweats" a little when you take it out you just leave it alone and it will dry out eventually. Being in the fridge isn't going to melt it.

If you're referring to a rolled buttercream and not fondant, though, that isn't going to work the same way. Are you using a store-bought fondant or did you make it? Does it have gelatin or gums in it, or just corn syrup?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%