jalyred101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jalyred101 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 12:27am
post #1 of 7

Where can I buy already made cannoli filling? Please help! I'm in fl

6 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

I don't know where you can buy it. I only see it offered online, at one or two places. I suspect it isn't so commonly offered because there are very ingredients in it and it isn't something I would want to make far in advance. Is there a reason why you don't want to make it yourself?

jalyred101 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 1:55am
post #3 of 7

I would make it myself if I can find a good recipe. So you know of any? I would really appreciate  it :)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7

The recipe by Alex Guamaschelli at Foodnetwork.com is traditional and very good.

The recipe by Lydia Nacawa at Allrecipes.com is a little different from traditional but also good.

jalyred101 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 3:05am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 3:20am
post #6 of 7

You are very welcome.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 7

Here's the recipe I use from my Grandma:

Filling:

1 lb ricotta (drain in strainer, make sure it is cold and dry)

1/2c powdered sugar

½ tsp cinnamon

4-6oz mini chocolate chips

Mix first 3 ingredients with mixer. Add chocolate chips and stir in. Stuff shells and sprinkle with sugar. Garnish with cherries.

For easy stuffing: put filling in a plastic bag, snip the end and squeeze it into each side.

oh, and here's the one for the Shells:

Shell:

1c sifted all purpose flour

2T butter

1T powdered sugar

¼ tsp salt

1T honey

3-5T cream sherry

Metal canoli forms for shaping (I used wooden broom handles, but they inside doesn't get crispy as when you use the metal forms).

Mix all but the sherry together. Cut in sherry, one tablespoon at a time. Roll into a 2” diameter roll. Set in Refrigerator for 20 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece out to 5” diameter. Pinch around form and seal with egg white. Fry in oil - putting seams down first-until golden. Drain, remove forms.

Pan Fry: this is how my grandmother always did it, with a little bit of oil in the pan.

Deep Fry: oil needs to be 375F and use either canola or peanut oil. No vegetable oil or vegetable oil mix (you need an oil with a high smoking point). Fry till golden brown, about 2-3minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%