Rolling Pin Or Mat

Decorating By VS Sweet treats Updated 2 Jul 2015 , 1:50pm by cake-o-holic

VS Sweet treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS Sweet treats Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hello my dear cake artist friends,

I would like to get your suggestions or recommendations on how your experience is when working and rolling fondant.

I've been working in cake decorations with fondant for 2 years now and wanted to know what would be the best method in order to roll the fondant and covering cakes. The first time I covered a cake with fondant it was using the wilton mat, rolling the fondant in it and then using the mat to cover the cake, but I have seen in a lot of videos and tutorial most people use the rolling pin to carry the fondant and then cover the cake.  Is it any difference between these two methods? I've been using both and I in my opinion using the rolling pin is much easier, but I will assume it will depend on the fondant brand or size of the cake, am I correct??

Hope to read all your comments!!

Thanks and have a wonderful day!!!

6 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 7

I tried the mat method once and it was not for me.   I like my wooden rolling pin but it is too short to transfer the fondant to a cake.  I was the lift with your arms and pray for the best gal.  I finally got a long Wilton rolling pin but do not like rolling out the fondant with that.  Soooo,  I use my wooden rolling pin to roll out then I use the Wilton pin to transfer it to the cake.

I got there eventually :)

FlourGirlLV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourGirlLV Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

The Sweet Wise mat changed my life! Lol. Seriously one of my favorite tools.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 11:55am
post #4 of 7

Sweet Wise mat all the way!

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 7

It took me a few tries to get the mat down, but I love it now. I don't have to worry about it drying out if I need to step away or having it stretch when I transfer it to the cake. I prefer to use SatinIce brand fondant.

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 7

Just watched the video. Looks like the Sweet Wise mat is the way to go!

cake-o-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-o-holic Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 7

the MAT for sure.  I used to do the whole sprinkle icing sugar, but it just got too messy and i found i was spending a lot of time brushing it off.  I switched the MAT, and its awesome.  It does take a few tries to get the hang of it, but once you have it down...its amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%