On Opening A New Business...

Business By MariaLovesCakes Updated 29 Sep 2005 , 8:14pm by peacockplace

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

I have a couple of questions...

This is always on the back of my mind, about the possibility of one day having my own cake business...

I would love to work from home, and I am sure and would be advisable, to have a room added to my house for a separate kitchen so not to "destroy" and keep heavy traffic away from my house kitchen...

So, you ladies or gents that have a home based business, how did you start, how much of sacrifice it is when you have a family (I have a 7 and a almost 2 year old), hours spent, first years how tough???

If anything I would need to start home based because I don't have the means right now to apply for a loan for building space and my clients are few..

And I should add if anyone knows the laws in Orlando Fl to establish a cake business, home-based?

Thanks.

6 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 7

Unfortunately, you live in FL. That's a tough state! You basically have to get everything you would have if you were a bakery out on the street. You have to have a seperate kitchen, three compartment sink, hand washing sink, mop water sink, ect. You have to get a food handler's liscense by taking a $200.00 class. You also have to get a state liscense that costs about $200.00. All of the regulations are from the state not the city like it used to be. That makes it a lot harder. You have to be inspected at least once a year, but maybe more... I'm not sure. I can't remember right now, but I think it's through the Dept of Agriculture, so you can call them and they will send you a book with all of the regulations. It will make your head spin.

Kind of seems unfair that in some states you just have to have seperate cabinets and no pets in the kitchen!

lori83179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lori83179 Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 7

Is there a web site or place to go to find out what the different laws are in each state in regards to this?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Unfortunately, you live in FL. That's a tough state! You basically have to get everything you would have if you were a bakery out on the street. You have to have a seperate kitchen, three compartment sink, hand washing sink, mop water sink, ect. You have to get a food handler's liscense by taking a $200.00 class. You also have to get a state liscense that costs about $200.00. All of the regulations are from the state not the city like it used to be. That makes it a lot harder. You have to be inspected at least once a year, but maybe more... I'm not sure. I can't remember right now, but I think it's through the Dept of Agriculture, so you can call them and they will send you a book with all of the regulations. It will make your head spin.

Kind of seems unfair that in some states you just have to have seperate cabinets and no pets in the kitchen!

Wow! Thanks so much! You know a lot of info. Are you from FL or used to live here?

peacockplace Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

I'm in FL... going through the process now of getting a liscensed kitchen.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I'm in FL... going through the process now of getting a liscensed kitchen.

I just sent an email to de Department of Professional Regulations. I went to the dept of Agriculture and they had a link to go there for the type of business I am interested in.

lets see what they say...

peacockplace Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

Keep me posted... I'd love to see what they have to tell you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%