Please Help!!!

Baking By AlyciaWard Updated 26 Jun 2015 , 10:44pm by costumeczar

AlyciaWard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyciaWard Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 3

Hello my name is Alycia and this is my situation...

I just had my third baby Feb 14th, his sisters b day is Feb 10th. So this coming Feb I have two b days in 3 days! They are 9 yrs apart. She'll be 10, he'll be 1. I want to make cakes this year (since most grocery cakes are min 1/4 sheet, too much cake in 3 days lol) to equal a 1/4 of a sheet cake ( in servings) but be two separate cakes. I would like to do 1- 2 layer square cake for my daughter and 1- 2 layer round for my son. I do not know what i'm doing or how to achieve this! I also want to do fondant and buttercream AHH HELP!

2 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

Well, in one way you're in luck.  You have enough time to practice before February and that's what you need to do.  If you have no experience at all, I'd stick with buttercream only.  First decide what flavor cakes you want to make and locate good reliable recipes.  Then find an easy buttercream recipe and start baking.  The best way to learn any of this is to do it.  You'll learn what not to do more than anything else.

Try to bake a different cake every couple of weeks and keep notes for yourself.  You've got the time to ease into it as far as learning different techniques and buying the tools you'll need.

So bake a few cakes and let us know how you're coming along. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 3

First of all, good for you for doing two separate cakes. I hate it when people try to cram two birthdays into one, and I bet the kids aren't too happy about it either.

On that note, though, I'd suggest doing a normal-sized cake for your daughter, who will remember the cake, and a smaller one for the baby's birthday, since he won't remember and won't care. Make the baby's cake really cute, just on the small side. I assume that your daughter will be having friends at a party? (Maybe not) But even if she won't be having a party, she'll probably be happy having a cake that's different from the baby's cake, especially since everyone will be having a fit about how cute he is on his first birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%