Pricing Advise For Wedding Petit Fours (Mini Cakes)

Decorating By NishaW Updated 26 Jun 2015 , 9:25am by mccantsbakes

NishaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NishaW Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 8

I have a client who wants Petit fours for her wedding (150 plus)  Even though they are petit fours they look about 2.5-3" in size, fondant covered squares, one half quilted all around and has a ribbon around (minus the bow).  I know these are going to be a nightmare but wanted to get everyone's  input on what to charge for it.    Thanks

7 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 8

I'd be charging £8.50 +...not sure what that is in dollars these days - about $16  They take HOURS!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

A million, trillion dollars.  I HATE petit fours.......

What I WOULD do, however, is use my considerable selling and people skills to convince the customer that a truly elegant wedding would offer the guests the opportunity to have the visual and gustatory delights associated with traditional petit fours without the mess or expense by utilizing exquisite mini cupcakes for the guests.  In addition, the considerable savings could be utilized by presenting each guest with a beautifully packaged, matching mini cupcake as a wedding favor. 

http://www.papermart.com/clear-plastic-boxes/id=38447-INDEX#38447

You could dip the top of each mini in fondant and finish with a version of the design requested by the bride.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

First of all, 2.5" square is 2 servings of cake, not a petit four.  You need to charge for 2 servings, PLUS the extra time to decorate all those little darlings. I won't do mini cakes (of any size) for less than $20 each.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 8

What jgifford said. You're talking about mini-cakes, not petit fours, and they are a real pain - $25 or $30 each.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 5:00am
post #6 of 8

That's what I said, a Million, Trillion dollars....... (lol)

NishaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NishaW Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 5:33am
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your input and it really helps me a lot!  I agree with what you said as it is not worth to spend all the time making them unless you're getting paid for it but people really don't want to spend too much money on it.

<3   

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 9:25am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @NishaW on 3 hours ago

Thank you all for your input and it really helps me a lot!  I agree with what you said as it is not worth to spend all the time making them unless you're getting paid for it but people really don't want to spend too much money on it.

<3   

Uh, I am just going to go ahead and say it....LADYFRIEND you need to be charging an arm and a leg for those things.   They are not only a total P. I. T. A but have You SEEN YOUR work?   I just looked at your gallery and your skills are ridiculously good.   Your sculpting skills are mad crazy good.     You have a gift.

If they don't want to pay you what you are worth (and your Picts suggest that you are worth it and then some) then I would tell them too bad, so sad, no petit fours.   

Just because an item is smaller doesn't make it cheaper per se....and with petit fours I honestly don't think non cake people get how much work goes into each one....times 150...sigh.    If they aren't paying you what you are worth, by the time you are piping out #99 those adorable cakes are probably going to taste more like resentment and regret than little bundles of beautiful art.    Heck, even if they are paying you a decent amount, they may still be infused with some resentment....but the good money is a bit of a buffer for those feelings at 2 am the night before the event.  Just sayin.

best wishes on this project.  I am sure they will look Ah-MAYZING.  Can't wait to see what you come up with, you are an artist for sure! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%