Help With A 3D Dragon..

Decorating By WhileHewasgamin Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 4:34pm by Pastrybaglady

WhileHewasgamin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhileHewasgamin Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 11:30am
post #1 of 11

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read/post on my question! I am attempting to make a 2 headed 2-3ft tall 3D dragon cake for my oldest sons birthday. I will probably have to stack about 10-15 layers on a stand my brother is making for me. My questions/concerns are the cake? (from scratch, since the crumb is thick, or a box mix). Also, what if I made the sheet cake ahead of time and froze them? ( only a month away) It will be an outside party, will my buttercream melt? (Store bought from a bakery in a 32 lb container) Also I am making the wings from floral wire and geladtin, will they melt? The party will be under a pavilion and the temp could range between 80-95F. How do I make sure my cakes bake full and level? ( for he most part, I don't think I fill my pan enough) One last question, my youngest sons cake will be a filled cake about 5 layers tall with filling bought from Henry & Henry, though they say it doesn't need refrigerated..does it? I sincerely appreciate all and any help!! I have only made 1 other cake, so anything but negativity is welcomed!! 

10 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 11

Buy a case of frozen, pre-baked, half sheet cakes from a bakery supplier instead of baking the cakes.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 11

Bakery buttercream is shortening based and will be fine unrefrigerated.  That sounds like quite the undertaking for only your second cake!  You will need some monster (seriously not punning here)  internal support for the weight you are talking about or you are doomed before you even start.  Look into how to construct solidly before you even think about baking and decorating. If you really want to bake it yourself please bake and freeze ahead of time.  Because this is only your second cake you have no idea what goes into this so you need to do a ton of research: a good carving recipe, how to bake even cakes, how to level, how to construct soundly, how to crumb coat, color and ice and all the details that go into making a convincing dragon - scales, eyes, wings, teeth, claws...  and then find the time to actually do it!  Best of luck to you!

WhileHewasgamin Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 11

I appreciate your response pastrybaglady! I have been doin ALOT of research for over a month. My brother is a handyman and can build anything, so I am leaving the support up to him, besides my measurements (make sure I don't make it too big!) I didn't realize there was a diff recipe for carving cakes! Thank you! And I am a little nervous, ok very nervous about it lol but their my kids and will love what ever they get lol! I have a lot of "blueprints" and I actually thought about it soo much, I realized my original plan would result in a close to 4' tall dragon ( too much pressure) so I'm planning on half the size. Again, thank you! Please keep it comin, always room to learn!

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 11

It's the internal support I would worry about.  Your brother can build you a good solid platform but if you're stacking 7-9 layers you will need cake boards and dowelling every 5" high or so.  That part you need to know about or the dragon will collapse under it's own weight because it's going to be HEAVY.  Are you moving it somewhere or will it be at your house?  Transporting will be an issue too.  Make sure you have lots of help moving it even if it's just from your kitchen to the livingroom or backyard - protect your back!

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 11

Oops, sorry you said you're taking it somewhere.  Have you ever watched Cake Boss?  Make sure you measure everything so you can get it through the door and into the car!

WhileHewasgamin Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 11

I do have 12" and 16" dowels, and cake boards, so every couple layers put a board in between? Also have you ever used sour cream in your cake mix? That the recipe I found for carving. The platform will also have a small sturdy tube going up th middle that I will be placing through the middle of the layers surrounded by dowels. The cake will make a 5-10 min drive to the park, but I will be assembling the wings there. Lmao yes I have seen cake boss, another reason I went a little smaller than original, it needs to fit in the freezer at some parts of building. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11

Yes I do sour cream cakes and they are very nice to carve, but I don't want you to think I've ever done anything like what you're attempting. The concerns I'm bringing up are why I would not do it!  I am overly cautious and do not have the daring adventurous spirit you obviously have!  I really do hope it all comes together, I'll be holding my breath for you!

WhileHewasgamin Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 11

Thank u! I no I'll be holding my breath haha. I just always tell my kids 'practice makes perfect' ' you never know until you try' 

WhileHewasgamin Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 11

Here is both of the cakes I did for the party on Saturday. Thank you for all ur advice and help!55b628a52b28c.jpeg55b628a60c79b.jpeg

Pastrybaglady Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 11

Exhaling... Whew!  Oh my, and you made it red inside too?  Haha!  You did it!  Bet everyone was amazed, what a huge effort and relief I'm sure. Congrats on a job well done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%