Egg Crisis Omg

Business By Whiteflower1 Updated 30 Jun 2015 , 9:00pm by Kabodi.Cakes

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

Just curious if anyone is losing their mind over this national egg shortage issue. We currently can't even order our egg whites from our distributor Sysco....Cracking and seperating eggs for large batches of buttercream made 24/7 is going to be a nightmare. We have had to enforce a price increase on our retail cupcakes to accomodate the increase in our cost of goods. How are you guys handling this????

Marianne

White Flower Cake Shoppe

7 replies
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 3:41am
post #2 of 8

In CA, our eggs just went up in price due to a law that gives chickens more cage space.  Our increase was 2.50 a doz to 5 bucks a doz.   sticker shock.    Sigh.  

It has definitely affected my choice in SMB over ABC for ALL cakes.    I am a hobbyist at this point with pipe dreams of someday making money, but no where near ready.     So it's all out of pocket for me at this point.    

On the upside, I am beginning to master smooth ABC which I always found tedious.   And I have learned to make SMB with carton egg whites (I can't justify the yolk waste at this point)

I haven't noticed a shortage though, just high prices at our grocers.

I bought cage free, brown, organic fancy eggs the other day for a dollar less a dozen than conventionally farmed eggs.....

My husband and I are toying with the idea of getting a few hens for our backyard since we are zoned for it and they are great for many things like pest control, fertilizer  and of course, eggs.  

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 8

We go through 6-10 cases (15 dozen each) each week at our restaurant.  Our cost just doubled. So starting next week our prices will rise temporarily to cover the increase.  We've told some of our regular customers who are surprised we haven't gone up already.  Hopefully the costs will come back down.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 8

I bake under the CFL so I don't use huge amounts of eggs like a big operation, but I look for better prices everywhere I go.  If I can find them for under $2/dozen I'm walking out with several cartons.  Trader Joes's had  them for $1.99!  It seriously cuts into the bottom line, especially if you make SMBC.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 8

I noticed that eggs did go up here in SC but I did not know why!! 

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 8

Bird flu. Currently affecting 44 million birds used for egg production. We can't even get seperated egg whites any more:( It's been a rough couple of weeks for our shop!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 8

I was grocery shopping today and I was grabbing eggs and a little old lady said " eggs are like gold these days" lol. I paid $2.39 for a dozen. I'm in central illinois. I read somewhere that experts say it will take 2 years to recoup from this bird flu. I wanted chickens but since we listed our house we decided to wait boy would they be nice to have now. Even though in Illinois we can't bake ( to sell) with any home grown fruits or veggies and I'm assuming eggs wouldn't be allowed either it would still help a great deal for our personal consumption. Hopefully the prices won't rise any more and will quickly come back down to earth :) 

Kabodi.Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kabodi.Cakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

The last few cakes I have done have been mayonnaise cakes, "war cake" my aunt calls them! Super moist and dense so they work well for stacking.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%