Chalk? For Flowers?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 22 Jun 2015 , 3:05pm by Whiteflower1

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am relatively new to flowers and my Wilton book says "brush with chalk". Is that petal dust? Or is this another product I need to get?

Thx

3 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 4

Some people do use pulverized chalk as petal dust. Chalk is non toxic. Non Toxic is different than food grade. Some dusts sold are food grade.

What you are willing to put into your body is one thing. What you put out to serve into other people's bodies is another. 

(Side ramble)

I've never heard of a contamination at a chalk factory/packaging facility, but do they even check? I do know however, the local super center meat counter clerks use gloves to protect themselves from the meat. They cross contaminate all the time. They hand out the wrapped meat to the customer with those same gloves. All I can think of, is what that unassuming customer touched next in the store. Boxes of chalk? I hate shopping anymore.

(ramble over)

If you choose to use non toxic items, educate those who receive your goods so they may have the same power of choice.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 4

Some people do use pulverized chalk as petal dust. Chalk is non toxic. Non Toxic is different than food grade. Some dusts sold are food grade.

What you are willing to put into your body is one thing. What you put out to serve into other people's bodies is another. 

(Side ramble)

I've never heard of a contamination at a chalk factory/packaging facility, but do they even check? I do know however, the local super center meat counter clerks use gloves to protect themselves from the meat. They cross contaminate all the time. They hand out the wrapped meat to the customer with those same gloves. All I can think of, is what that unassuming customer touched next in the store. Boxes of chalk? I hate shopping anymore.

(ramble over)

If you choose to use non toxic items, educate those who receive your goods so they may have the same power of choice.

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 4

We have used chalk before to color flowers, it's essentially the same material as petal dust and you can find better colors, just make sure it is labeled non toxic. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%