Combatting Condensation When Refrigerating Cakes

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 25 Jun 2015 , 1:41am by Brookebakes

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 2:47am
post #1 of 5

So I've seen many, many recommendations on here to refrigerate cakes that are filled and coated with buttercream to "set" them, before covering in fondant. 

I've done this and it's great for achieving a solid surface to pace the fondant on, but I have no idea how you all deal with the fondant then becoming "sticky" from the coolness of the cake.

Anytime I've done this, the fondant starts to become moist from what I'm guessing is the condensation of the cake coming back to room temp. There's no way I can smooth the cakes after a matter of minutes once the fondant is applied, as the smoother will stick to the "wet" fondant and I have to wait for the whole thing to bee room temp before I can touch it.

What am I doing wrong, or is it related to brands of fondant? (I'm in Australia and use Bakels fondant - no other problems with this brand and love it!)

Thanks.

4 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 10:35am
post #2 of 5

Once I get the fondant on and it starts to get sticky, I just dust some powdered sugar (icing sugar I think you call it) over the cake and use my smoothers.  I just keep dusting it when I need to and when I'm done smoothing, I dust off the extra sugar with a pastry brush. 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 10:48am
post #3 of 5

I just answered a similar question on the previous thread.

I'm in Australia and use Bakels, to be honest if I didn't have an airconditioned room to work in it would be much more difficult.  The dry cool air keeps the surface of the cake dry.  I know not everyone has aircon, if you don't use a little cornflour, after some practice I have discovered it works best for me, but be careful if you use too much it dries the surface out too quickly.  Working fast also helps. 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

When you remove the cake from the freezer or fridge, let it come to room temperature and don't touch the cake. Take it out of the box and wrapping (and don't touch the cake) and let any condensation evaporate/air dry. If your humidity is high or you  want to speed it up a little, put it in the path of a light fan.

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 1:41am
post #5 of 5

Thanks!

I thought it was the moisture coming through from the cold cake, but maybe it's more the room temp/humidity. Will give these tips a go! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%