Friday Night Cake Club For 6/19/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Jun 2015 , 10:37pm by CoinUK

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:37am
post #1 of 10

Opening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to post about their week, post photos of their work,ask for help or provide help if they can.

Cat

9 replies
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:41am
post #2 of 10

Hi everyone! Late night here for many reasons. Only cupcakes this week...I'll explain how my life got derailed in the morning!! Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 10

Well, doesn't look like anyone has made it here yet! Slow summer weekends are totally normal. For me it's anything but slow. This past week our son made it into All Stars so all of this week has been spent at practices and then I was tapped (by a kid on his team so how could I say no) to make the cupcakes for the team party which is today. So my grand plan of having all this time to work on my hubby's cake just disappeared into thin baseball laden air. SIGH. Oh well, he didn't even know about it and we are not celebrating Father's Day till next Sunday with our grown kids. I'll just save the idea for next Father's Day instead.

Hope everyone is having a Grand Weekend. We are about to head to the party now...in the heat...oh joy. Good thing it's at someone's home so I can put the cupcakes in the fridge so the real buttercream doesn't melt!

Cat

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 10

Cat,

i bet the kids loved the cupcakes. 

The only baking I have planned doesn't require any thing more than swirls on cupcakes and icing a chocolate cake borders are optional.

I had a few from last month, just never got around to posting. 

Hope everything stays on track this week.

Marian

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 10

I  just made the best hazelnut  chocolate cake ever.  I was trying to find one I could use in a cake but this is just perfect as it is.  I think I might add a bit of chocolate ganche on top and some praline   or only whipped cream.

It just eating nutella in cake form.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 10

Hi, I've not properly decorated a cake in ages, but would like to stretch myself/have fun for my birthday.

My current thoughts are:

3 tiers, 8/6/4 round, with the 8 inch being a short tier and the 6inch being a double height hour-glass shape, and the 4inch just normal.

Pale blue and white stripes on the bottom tier, with a piped white border round the top.  the hour-glass tier would be plain white with white piped lace pattern on it.

The top tier is what has me stumped.  I'd like to make some sugar flowers for the topper, so should I just leave that tier plain?  What flowers?  How to tie the colours together with the blue from the bottom tier?

Any suggestions/inspirations?

Thanks!

catlharper Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 10

@Marian Hope you post photos of the "old" cakes! We love to see! And, yes, apparently the kids devoured the cupcakes. My son said they were the best I'd ever made. Mind you, I don't usually use such good ingredients in family cupcakes but I had all the great stuff for my hubby's cake so they benefited! LOL!

@CatPoet that sounds totally YUMMY! Please do share your recipe! 

Speaking of recipes...even if you start off with a box cake mix and then doctor it up, if it turns out wonderfully please do share! I know many are scratch bakers but there are many of us who go between "doctored" cakes and scratch cakes so please do share what you have discovered...we want yummy too! LOL!

Cat

catlharper Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 10

@LizzieAylett Your birthday cake sounds gorgeous...as I was reading the description I was thinking a giant white sugar peony on top would just be stunning! I do hope you actually do it so we can see how gorgeous it turns out!

Cat

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 10

I used this cake recipe   http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/03/hazelnut-brown-butter-cake/  but then added  4 tablespoon of good unsweetened cocoa powder  and it just made it so good.

I made sure to roast my hazelnuts until  golden brown and that bumped up the flavour, I had to grind them in my old nut mill that older then me and that changes the texture a bit but for this is just made it better.  Sifted the dry ingredients including the nuts  so it was all smooth.   I didn't put a vanilla pod with the butter, instead I used  really good powder vanilla sugar which the standard vanilla here and added it to the dry ingredients .

The cake was so good.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 10

No cakes from me this week, been too busy preparing for stocktake at work. Did make some lovely Cherry Chocolate Muffins though :)

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10404245_10153620900768646_1184651941492551774_n.jpg?oh=2bdd7d6f8663eebb423ab21accb7d2ee&oe=5627756E

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%