Fondant Bubbles Out On Sides

Decorating By CupcakeCouture1 Updated 18 Jun 2015 , 11:11pm by ropalma

CupcakeCouture1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCouture1 Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hello! I am a self taught cake decorator and in these summer months I am having some serious trouble with my fondant covered cakes!

I Freeze all of my layers a couple days before I ice them. I usually just use buttercream in the summer months. And I cover them with a decently thick layer of homemade marshmallow fondant. After the cake is covered and I start to apply the decorations parts of my cake with start to bubble out/swell pretty severely. I try to poke a little hole in the bubbles to push the air out and I smooth it back down, but it just swells back up again! Sometimes the only thing that works is for me to pull the side up again and push out and air/extra icing that is up in there? But sometimes that wrecks the cake!

what am I doing wrong?

3 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 4

Dear Cupcake couture,

Don't feel alone with this issue!  Anyone who has applied fondant to a cake has experienced the air bubble issue. Is the cake still partially frozen when you are trying to apply the fondant?  That could be part of the issue.

Air is your enemy here. When you apply the fondant, spend extra time smoothing it. Most air bubbles will work themselves out with this technique. Google Sharon Zambito...she has excellent tips on avoiding this issue. 

Hope this helps!

JudyZ 

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

I quit using buttercream under my fondant.  I use ganache and all does problems are over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%