What Do You Think??

Baking By BakerzJoy Updated 6 Jul 2015 , 2:38pm by -K8memphis

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have a grooms cake I need to do in August. It's fairly simple; square cake, chocolate, EMS emblem on top.

They sent over a picture and it's a simple square 1 tier design. It needs to feed 150 people.

I went over to the Wilton Wedding cake size chart and saw a 16in pan double layer feeds about 128 Wedding party size.

If I did 3 layers instead of 2, do you think it would feed 150 at least? What would you do, I have the whole set of Fat Daddios pans from 4-16 so, let me know your idea?

I am worried about support too, the board etc....

6 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

I have read somewhere in CC that 3 layers vs. 2 layers does not increase the amount of feedings.  You will just give more cake volume per serving because of the additional layer.    I have increased the amount of servings by making a 3 inch layer, torted and filled and then put another 3 inch layer torted and filled over that with a board in between.  This will give you 2 tiers of equal servings.  Meaning if the first 2 layer tier gives 50 people then the one on top will also give you 50 people making 100 servings. 

jennifersc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifersc Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 7

is the bride sure she needs 150 servings of groom's cakes or is that the number of guests at the wedding? Of course, you wouldn't serve everyone at the wedding the groom's cake.

Anywho,  I usually say you need enough cake to serve 80% of your guests, so if she really does need 150 servings, then the 16"   2-layer square cake will be more than enough.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

Just a thought, you could bake 4 of the 8 inch square cakes leveled and put two beside each other with icing connecting them with double layers. When you cook one 16 inch square sometimes it is hard to get done in the middle and always overcooks on the sides. The smaller cakes would cook moister. 

Also, the Wilton servings are very small so keep that in mind.   But if they still have the bride's cake then this would be just extra cake.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

Bakerzjoy, I just looked at your cakes on your profile and you do beautiful cakes.  I am sure that you will do just fine with whatever you decide to do. I am no expert and only do a few small birthday cakes for family and friends for free. 

I am not good enough to try and do a wedding cake!! I have seen so many pretty cakes here and the people here are so very talented. I do enjoy looking at everyone's cakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 7

i would not second guess the amount of servings and try to talk to talk them into less that reduces my paycheck -- if someone specifically asks for a one tier 150 serving cake why make it smaller or too small -- according to my charts a 16" square serves 128 and an 18" serves 162 so if you did a 17" square you'd still be short a few servings so i'd go for the 18" -- bake eight 9" cakes and stack 'em all up -- four on the bottom four on the top -- bam

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7

for the board i'd use the half inch foam core and you can double it if you feel it necessary -- what i do is make the bottom of the two boards smaller say about (for an 18"cake) the bottom board is 16" and the top board is 22" square (or 24" square would give you 3" of board exposed around the edges) then center the 16" board underneath with hot glue -- if you can't find 1/2" foam core that's big enough splice two sections together with wide tape and when you hot glue the bottom board onto it it is very secure -- have done this many many times -- and you also made your cake easier to handle with the 'footed' bottom -- you could even use a stack of 16" round boards underneath  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%