Novice Decorator - Ordered The Agbay - Now What?! Minnie Mouse Cake!

Decorating By cangulo Updated 17 Jun 2015 , 5:17pm by Apti

cangulo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangulo Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 12

Looking to make this Minnie Mouse cake for my daughters birthday party on Saturday.. http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3343295/minnie-mouse-cake this will be my second cake really.

This was my first cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3343296/first-cake - though I didn't really know how to make straight sides - have the right pans, etc. I just bought the Agbay, did 2 day shipping so hoping it will be here by Wednesday. I also got 4inch, 6inch, and 8inch Magic Line pans (2 of each size).

Is there an amazing vanilla cake recipe perfect for clean cuts with the Agbay? Is cake flour recommended vs. all purpose? I looked up the Mermaid bakery cake recipe and it uses all purpose so just wondering.

Any tips on how to use the Agbay for the first time or how to make this cake? I have fondarific fondant already. I'm just nervous because I have a hard time mastering straight sides!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 12

The Agbay will cut through anything (even fingers, so be careful.  Well, not through fingers, but I've been nicked when I wasn't being careful.) so your cake recipe doesn't matter.  Always cut away from you.  Read and follow the directions.  It is really, really sharp, which is one of the reasons its so good!

cangulo Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 12

Oh ok cool. I keep looking up the videos for the product. Excited but I know how clumsy I am with knives. Agh. :-)

I just wanted a cake that was strong enough to not crumb too much but still be super tasty. Haha. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 12

Sour Cream White Cake – DOUBLE RECIPE

2 package Duncan Hines white cake mix (16.5 oz.)

1 cup flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cup sour cream
1 cup canola oil
6 large eggs
2 teaspoon pure almond (you can also use vanilla, lemon, etc.) extract

Single Recipe:

1 package Duncan Hines white cake mix (16.5 oz.)

1/2 cup flour

1/8 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond (you can also use vanilla, lemon, etc.) extract

This recipe is very dependable, consistent, tasty, & durable enough to stack and carve. It also makes lovely cupcakes. You can use gel colors to color the batter of the white cake. This is a version of a cake recipe from the book: The Cake Mix Doctor, by Anne Byrn, ISBN: 0761117199. (Updated to reflect additions required with new, smaller mixes as of 2012)

This stacks and cuts beautifully with the Agbay. 

Apti Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry about the huge letters above, since CakeCentral changed their format, it's nearly impossible to edit anything. 

Anyway, your new agbay may seem a little tricky at first, but really is relatively simple.  It will not cut frozen cake (just so you know). 

by the way, the flour in the recipes above:  all purpose flour

Good luck on your daughter's birthday cake!  Even though it may not look exactly like the photo you are using for inspiration, she will love it and you will have another challenging cake under your belt!

cangulo Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you so much!! I've never used a box cake mix before so interested to see how it comes out! It's nice and sweet too? Love getting recipes from you experts on here!!

Apti Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 4:43am
post #7 of 12

You're very welcome.  I love to help others just like so many forum members helped me the first couple of years.  I started from "scratch"  (I know, I know....bad pun...) with zero cake knowledge in 2010 and fell in love with cake decorating.

I prefer to use Duncan Hines mixes as my dry base, then add all the other stuff to make a recipe fabulous.  I do have a few scratch recipes, but since my tried & true doctored mix cakes are so popular, I figured, why re-invent the wheel.  This particular recipe is so dependable and tasty.  Everyone loves it and you can do SO many variations with fillings and frostings.   Although you can use vanilla or lemon extract, I prefer to use the almond extract.

This recipe won't let you down!  Enjoy.

p.s.  Here's my website with photos of my cakes since 2010:

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/  

Trust me, if I can do this stuff, anyone can.

cangulo Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 12

Awesome! Do you happen to have the instructions for the cake? Is this the original wasc recipe? 

Apti Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 12

This isn't the "original" wasc recipe, it's my version (every baker has their own versions of everything...). 

Fill pan 1/2 way full, bake at 325F.  It will take longer, so check at 30 minutes with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean when inserted in the center.  If there is still goopy cake batter, cook for another 10 minutes then check again.  If there is still some goopy cake batter or thick, wet crumbs at the bottom of the toothpick, put back in oven for five minutes, then check again.  Repeat every 5 minutes until toothpick is clean then immediately remove from oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes (until pan is lukewarm and easy to touch and handle).

I prepare pans with parchment paper cut to fit the inside/bottom of the pan.  I spray with Wilton Bake Even spray (available at craft stores).  If the cake is larger than 8", I put a metal flower nail in the middle.  I use Wilton Bake Even strips and get an even rise with very little or no dome in the center of the cake.  (see link below)

Bake Even Strips and Flower Nail on larger cakes --Photo tutorial

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

cangulo Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 12

Quote by @leah_s on 2 days ago

The Agbay will cut through anything (even fingers, so be careful.  Well, not through fingers, but I've been nicked when I wasn't being careful.) so your cake recipe doesn't matter.  Always cut away from you.  Read and follow the directions.  It is really, really sharp, which is one of the reasons its so good!

I can vouch for the fact that it will cut through fingers. Don't ask me how I know.

Apti Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 12

CostumeCzar~~"How do you know????"    (Hope the blood didn't get into your cake!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%