Any Big Cookie Secrets?

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 4 Jul 2015 , 4:30pm by -K8memphis

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

I am curious as to how you guys make those large cookies you see at bakeries, maybe a 5"-6" size? The kind that's the size of your hand. Is there a trick to baking them that large? Do you chill and slice, flatten, roll then cut with a cutter, bake at lower temp, or? I want to make them, but not sure the best way about it.

An example would be the one in the picture link on this thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/822191/my-first-farmers-market by TheItalianBaker.

10 replies
craftybanana2 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 2:44am
post #2 of 11

I take it there aren't any earth shattering secrets about making them big? That's good, going to try this weekend, as long as they don't burn, they'll get eaten, ha ha.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 11

the biggest secret is to do your best not to eat them instead of meals

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 11

no seriously I made it through a whole day without making/eating cookies yesterday -- my husband and I LOVE this new recipe I concocted -- he pouted momentarily when he found  out i really didn't make any yesterday

but I did have pie for breakfast...

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 11

no seriously and I mean it this time -- even the big momma & poppa bear 12", 16" cookies you just squish out the cookie dough ànd I leave about an inch free around the circumference so it doesn't bunch up around the edge - looks like a cookie not a pizza not that there's anything wrong with pizza for crying out loud -- so has room to spread a bit  -- just a little longer bake time is all --

enjoy! happy saturday, crafty! eat some chocolate chips for me unless you're doing snickerdoodles or something <3

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 11

Did I hear the word Pizza? I have not had a pizza in a long time!!

Let us know how your big cookie turned out. I know of one little boy who loves those big cookies and he prefers to have one for his birthday instead of cake!! Be sure and post a picture!!

craftybanana2 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 11

Well, I made them.... but I kinda screwed up on my recipe. I wasn't thinking and accidentally doubled my butter amount. So I got super thin cookies that broke as soon as you touched them. :( From a 1/4 cup scoop, I got 4.5" cookies, and from a 1/2 cup scoop I got a 6" cookie. I have a feeling that might change when I redo it though, sheesh. Oh well, back to the oven!

craftybanana2 Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 11

I made them again, and weighed like theitalianbaker told me too.... 5oz cookie came out to about 5 inches! I also used half all purpose flour and half bread flour to see what would happen...plus an extra egg yolk (internet said so) and came out really good! It was soft yet not too soft. So when I make big cookies again, I'll be using part-bread part-ap flour and when making regular size I'll just do my usual for small, slightly cripsy cookies. :)

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 11

What kind of cookies did you make?

craftybanana2 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 11

I made chocolate chip cookies.

Quote by @4laynes on 1 hour ago

What kind of cookies did you make?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 4:30pm