New To Dealing With Customers

Baking By jordanhinote Updated 11 Jun 2015 , 2:17pm by jordanhinote

jordanhinote Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordanhinote Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 10:49am
post #1 of 3

Hey! I've been making cakes for about 8 years, mostly for family and friends. I got my first (non related) customer recently. She wanted a 2-3 tier glow in the dark splatter cake. I had never done anything like that before. So after some research and experimenting I got it to work. I talk to her for the first time 3 days before the party! I told her it would costs a minimum of $100.00. She later calls and says her husband said that's too much for a cake! I had called around to other bakeries in my area and they charge $75-$125 for a plain 2 tier with no decoration. And some couldn't meet her specifications at all. She calls back later the same night asking if I could do a smaller cake. I have $70-$75 in this project. I know my first mistake was not asking for at least half up front and the second was another person was unfortunately the go between and most of the problem. What should I do? I don't want to make a smaller cake for free, which is what I'd be doing! 

2 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure if you have accepted $75 as the budget. But I would push back and at this point ask for full payment before you start your oven.

And insist on talking to her directly...i've made that mistake before and the client was not happy...because the middle person did not show them my final sketch.

jordanhinote Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordanhinote Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 3

I agree! I definitely need to get the money beforehand. Otherwise I think I'll end up with more issues or another cancellation. This has definitely been a learning experience on what not to do! Thank you for your advice! ☺

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%