My First Farmer's Market!

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 23 Jun 2015 , 9:05pm by craftybanana2

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 16

hello everyone, 

just wanted to share my first farmer's market experience!

that's my booth https://www.facebook.com/Americanpiebakery/photos/a.700240489994454.1073741827.142006472484528/991083270910173/?type=1&theater

It was from 4 to 7, I brought: 6 9" pies, 10 minis, 15 cookies, 28 pastries, muffin, 2 small bread each (pumpkin, banana, lemon), granola bars, brownies and cupcakes.

I came back home with 2 cinnamon rolls, 4 muffin and 10 cupcakes! I baked everything fresh in the morning; only pies, bread and brownies were wrapped. For the other items I had some brown papaer bags (Sam's club).

Next friday I will bring some savory items as well, most of the people were looking for a savory treat for their cold beers!

I sold out pies in the first hour and half (my price are very affordable..) so I will bring more this week!

15 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 16

Congratulations! That's amazing! And brown paper bags from Sams is a great idea.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 16

Everything looks good but I'm eyeing the brownies...

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 16

Everything looks great. Are you making good money, enough to pay yourself a decent hourly wage?

TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 16

Oh yes, absolutely! 

I made around $300 and the space is only $10! 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 4:44am
post #6 of 16

What was your profit after ALL expenses and time were deducted?

If you sold out of most stuff then raise your prices next time!

craftybanana2 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 16

Question about your cookies, how big of a cookie scoop did you use? I like your setup, I wouldn't be able to leave anything uncovered here though, too many knats and little fingers, plus I'd probably eat it all before they sold! When my little one is old enough for daycare I want to do a farmers market....

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 16

Just looked at your pic.

Please tell me you didn't have all rhose trays uncovered! Is that even legal? Aren't you required to have everything covered?

TheItalianBaker Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 16

Quote by @craftybanana2 on 7 hours ago

Question about your cookies, how big of a cookie scoop did you use? I like your setup, I wouldn't be able to leave anything uncovered here though, too many knats and little fingers, plus I'd probably eat it all before they sold! When my little one is old enough for daycare I want to do a farmers market....

I don't use a scoop but the scale. My cookies are all 5oz each one; 90% of my business is wholesale and I have the weight on the label. In this way, if I don't sell something I can send it out Saturday morning. 

Last friday I actually wrapped the cookies and the bars. When somebody wanted something I had to take the cover off, get a glove, bag the sweet, cover the stand, take the glove off, get the money. My table was full of stuff and it's not a fast process. You want to be fast especially if it's a busy market.

TheItalianBaker Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 16

Quote by @Jedi Knight on 6 hours ago

Just looked at your pic.

Please tell me you didn't have all rhose trays uncovered! Is that even legal? Aren't you required to have everything covered?

Have you ever been at a farmer's market?! Everything is uncovered! All the bakeries have bread/croissants/baked goods on big baskets and platters. 

Nobody touch anything, not even kids. 

craftybanana2 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:32am
post #11 of 16

I guess it depends on you area, the bread stands I've seen have sneeze guards. Not all people look with their eyes, some look with their nose, particularly if dogs are involved, ha ha. And thanks for that reminder about weight, I'll weigh my dough out next time. :)

TheItalianBaker Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:34am
post #12 of 16

Quote by @craftybanana2 on 1 minute ago

I guess it depends on you area, the bread stands I've seen have sneeze guards. Not all people look with their eyes, some look with their nose, particularly if dogs are involved, ha ha. And thanks for that reminder about weight, I'll weigh my dough out next time. :)

Pets can't get into the market here..

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:46am
post #13 of 16

You could at least pack all those big buns and loaf of breads individually in clear p lactic bags.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:47am
post #14 of 16

Plastic bags 

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 16

I've been doing my local farmer's market for years and the local Health Dept. oversees everything. We have to have everything covered or packaged. We have to have a hand washing station. I have no problem bagging scones or muffins or little pies as people want them. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable purchasing items that had been sitting out for some time, uncovered. Congrats though, your table looks yummy.

craftybanana2 Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 16

Just wanted to say thanks for the weight tip! I made some cookies this weekend and holy cow 5oz makes a really big cookie! I usually use a 1.5T cookie scoop, ha ha. :D Good luck on the next market! One thing I've seen is that people use a container for each different flavor of bread/cookie, like your big jars, could do something like that for your bread. Dress up some basket or boxes with canvas or something. I've been saving pictures of ideas for future reference :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%