Using Stencils To Decorate

Decorating By pilotbaby Updated 9 Jun 2015 , 2:03am by Magic Mouthfuls

pilotbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilotbaby Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hello- brand new to the forum.  I am wondering if anyone has ever made their own stencil to decorate cookies?  Is this even possible?  Any suggestions?  Trying to make cookies for a friend and she wants the Air Force Emblem on them. TIA

5 replies
TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 12:05am
post #2 of 6

I've made my own stencil out of a plastic sheet like you would use on the old projectors for school.  Or a plastic report protector (am I dating myself here lol)

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

I've also used coated cardboard and cut out margarine lids - for a stencil the thinner the better, so acetate (that's the word TicTac521 is looking for) is awesome.

But... have you considered ordering edible images for the Air Force Emblem - so much quicker - apply to fondant or royal icing or buttercream ontop of the cookies.  The time saved totally outweighs the cost - guaranteed.

pilotbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilotbaby Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 1:46am
post #4 of 6

Thank you- I am brand new to making sugar cookies.  Where would I find edible Air Force emblem images?  I am icing the cookies with royal icing.  Would the images just go on top of that?  Thank you!

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 2:03am
post #6 of 6

Do a Google Images search for your Air Force emblem - save a copy of a jpg , gif or tif of the best quality image on white or zero background.  Around 100-1000 kb is good data size.

Then google 'custom' 'edible images' for your closest or best priced supplier and order over the internet emailing through your saved image.

You can choose a full sheet with lots of emblems that you hand cut yourself with scissors before applying to the cookie, or you can select option to have the image printed on pre-cut circles 2" or 3" are standard sizes (called cupcake sizes). 

If you choose wafer image, then apply to royal icing whilst it is still damp.

If you choose the much higher quality icing image (its like a super thin fondant) then, peel off paper backing, paint back with a touch of water as your glue, then apply straight to the dried royal icing.

The image company will send you full instructions with your order in the  mail.

Best wishes to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%