Airbrush And Image Transfer

Decorating By joyfullnoize Updated 3 Jun 2015 , 8:03pm by azeboi2005

joyfullnoize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullnoize Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:07am
post #1 of 3

Hi to everyone!

This may be a ridiculous question:  But, does anyone know if you can airbrush onto a buttercream cake (Americolor airbrush) and then let it crust, and then add an outlined image with piping gel (that has dried overnight) on top of the airbrush work? 

Will this ruin any of the airbrush work?

I'm trying to do a beach theme background (with airbrush), and then adding the piping gel outline on top of it, to make it look the "Coppertone Baby Cake" ad, and then filling in the piping gel area with regular buttercream.

Please help!

Thank you!!

Jocelyn :-) 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 3

I think I getcha. Your only issue will be if you touch the airbrushed part it will mar it.

And why are you using piping gel then buttercream I'm curious --

fwiw when I do artwork like this I pat out the piping lines with a smooth  dedicated towel which makes it easy to touch the surrounding surface so I would not airbrush but it is certainly possible

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with K8memphis, if you touch the airbrushed area that you don't intend to you could lift the color from the buttercream and then it's near impossible to correct with airbrushing again. why don't you do a buttercream transfer of the baby to place onto the airbrushed cake? That might work better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%