Vegan Red Buttercream Frosting For Cupcakes

Decorating By Holly5L Updated 3 Jun 2015 , 12:53am by SquirrellyCakes

Holly5L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly5L Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:54am
post #1 of 10

Help! I need to make Vegan Red Buttercream Frosting Cupcakes for this Friday. I substituted butter from regular crusting buttercream recipe (1c butter + 3c icing sugar) with Earth Balance. It is so runny at room temp and red dye got separated. 

Did I do something fundamentally wrong? Any better recipe? I have time to remake. Any help appreciated!

Holly

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 10

Not familiar with the product. Why don't you use high ratio shortening or Crisco instead?  They are vegetable oil based. You won't get the "runnieness". 

1 1/2 cups of high ratio or Crisco shortening

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 pounds of powdered sugar

1/2 cup water

1 teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract

Dissolve salt in water. Beat shortening.  Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time mixing until well incorporated.  Stir in water with salt added to it and flavouring.  Now mix about 2-5 minutes until light and fluffy.

Note: recipe is taken from Vegetariangastronomy.com

Holly5L Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much, SquirrellyCakes! Sounds great!

Do you know if it tastes ok? Shortening can taste lard-ish compared to butter...

Thanks! -H

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 10

I know what you mean. When temperature isn't an issue I make all butter buttercream just for the taste.

I guess you could use an artificially butter flavoured oil to flavour it but I don't know if they are vegan.  I find that if you don't use butter the icing is more sweet tasting.  However when you cannot use butter or cream, you are rather limited.

Holly5L Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

I guess I can't have it all ;)

Thanks again SquirrellyCakes!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 10

You are  very welcome!

geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 10

Did you use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, or the stuff in the tub?  You might have better luck with the sticks.

Assuming you're in the US, Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine might work well for you.

If you need to use all shortening, 100% palm oil shortening is a lot more palatable than Crisco.

If you want to get fancy and make an Italian Meringue Buttercream (not for the faint of heart, but oh so yummy), that can be done in a vegan variation:

https://geekycakes.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/egg-free-dairy-free-vegan-italian-meringue-buttercream/

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 10

The use of palm oil products is the subject of much study and debate in relationship to both environmental and health concerns.  Something to consider.

geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 10

...and certified-sustainable palm oil products can be (and, I might argue, should be) found.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 12:53am
post #10 of 10

www.worldwatch.org/node/6082 has some interesting info on the subject regarding environmental concerns.  There are also numerous articles regarding health concerns. Just something to consider.

But yes tub margarine will produce a soupier mixture than hard margarine sticks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%