Letter Cakes? Letters Made Of Cake?

Decorating By DnDPastry Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 3:26pm by DnDPastry

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone-

Anyone have advice/experience with creating alphabet letters made of cake?

I need to create 4 cakes, each one a letter to spell out a girl's name. The cakes need to

feed about 40 guests in total.

Would you treat it as any other carved cake? I've carved cakes to look like feet, slot machines, animals, hats etc. but never

letters! I was thinking to simply bake off 9" rounds; split/fill/crumb coat as usual then carve.

Thankfully, they don't have to be covered in fondant, just buttercream! (But, the client DOES want each cake to have

a different animal print on it, any advice for that as well?!)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

DnD

7 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 4:52am
post #3 of 8

Cool pan, if it works. Did you try it cakewitch?

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:12am
post #4 of 8

No, never tried it but I think it will work. Less work, less waste vs carving a cake.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:35am
post #5 of 8

Looks awesome...if it works. May spring the bucks just for fun.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:37am
post #6 of 8

Would buy a pan for a single order. Unless you are sure you gonna use it many times afterwards. 

Just make a sheet cake about double servings of what you need.  Layer and frost (unless each should have different cake and buttercream flavor? ). Then make 4 paper stencils for the letters (I normally enlarge on the computer and trace onto paper). Use a long knife, hold it vertical and cut out the letters using the stencil as cutting guidelines. Not much "carving" in my opinion. 

I personally find fondant easier, depending on the letter and the size it is sometimes difficult to completely smooth tiny spots (f.e. inside A). 

But since you do animal prints you could smooth the edges and pipe the designs in little dots onto the top. You could do leopard, zebra, peacock and tiger.

DnDPastry Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 8

Oh I hadn't thought of a peacock pattern, that's FABULOUS!

Thanks for the advice,  the client may want different flavors for each letter, so perhaps I'll use 1/4 pans for each letter?

Again, thank you!

DnDPastry Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

The adjustable letter pan looks interesting as well; definitely something to consider- thank you :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%