Advice On Simple, But Large Fondant Lettering

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 5:40am by julia1812

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a 12 inch square cake, covered in buttercream. The decoration on top is to be a single word, with the first letter "K", in fondant, measuring about 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

How is best to make and then transfer it to the cake? As it will be placed on buttercream, I really only have one chance to place it without having to re-do and smooth the buttercream again, if I get it wrong. Should I make the "K" with tylose and fondant, wait until it hardens and place it - or is it likely to crack, being quite large? Or maybe place when still a little pliable to prevent cracking, but risk edges of the "K" being not quite straight.

3 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 4:55am
post #2 of 4

Make one K in fondant and one in paper. Use the paper template to line it up on the cake and mark with a toothpick for straight placement and spacing. Then drop it in place where you marked it (marking it just inside where the letter goes so the fondant letter covers your marks). 

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:18am
post #3 of 4

Fantastic idea! I'll be creating my own stencil/template for the letter anyway, so will keep the part I cut out as my guide. Thanks :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:40am
post #4 of 4

Would definitely wait until fondant letter dried or use a bit of tylose. It's so much easier if it's not all wobbly. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%