Cooks Illustrated White Cake

Baking By Debbie45628 Updated 2 Jun 2015 , 3:28pm by SquirrellyCakes

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 30 May 2015 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 9

I realize that from scratch baking is a science and it is difficult to narrow down a problem, but am hoping that someone can shed some light on a problem that I had this wk end...I used the Cooks Illustrated cake recipe and the first one cake out like rubber...so I threw that one away....next one looked good, but seemed heavy and the 3rd one was another fail....have any of you had this happen...Thanks

8 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 30 May 2015 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 9

In my experience, the coming out like rubber/heaviness is caused by over mixing.  

But, if  you post the recipe someone here may be able to help you narrow it down.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 May 2015 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, it definitely is a science..and that's what I love about it! I have never made this cake, but it looks great - I think I will give this recipe a try. I prefer lighter cakes...But a scratch cake is a scratch cake and the rules apply to all...I develop my own cake recipes now and have learned a few things along the way...

I just looked back in my Wilton course 1 "Trouble Shooting Guide for Bakers" that was my bible when I first started out 14 yrs ago and it said:

Rubber: I would guess it's overbeating same with it being heavy (this could also be removing it too soon - time is only a guide). Did you use a cake tester. I rely on that,  as opposed to the time in the directions...

Did you measure and follow the directions to a "T"? This is critical...

How big was the cake? I use a rose nail even on an 11 X 13

Is your oven properly caliibrated? 

Did you cook in the middle rack?

Hopefully this helps!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 9

First time I made Cook's Illustrated white cake recipe I thought it was wonderful.  The next time it had a very rubbery layer along the bottom.  I  made it again several times, all with the same negative results  (best I could tell I did the exact same thing each time, and I have baked a LOT).  Time to move on.  After much trial and error I found a great fool proof recipe that works for me.  Some recipes just don't work and you have to decide when it's time to try something else.  

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

Mermaid Bakery Vanilla butter cake is awesome and great results every time!

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/4313/vanilla-butter-cake-from-the-mermaid-bakery

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 May 2015 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 9

This is my go to white cake. Awesome, never fail. I often sub all purpose flour but still never have issues. 

I do time my beating exactly and use the speeds suggested.  

I think you do have to follow their process regarding the order they add the ingredients too.  Don't use your normal methods , IMHO.  

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 9

Debbie45628, is it the Cook's Illustrated White Layer Cake recipe at Epicurious?  I don't mind trying it out to see how it turns out if you are willing to let me know which recipe it is.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 9

I assumed it is a new recipe you are talking about.  But if it is the one on Epicurious that Imagenthatnj refers too, I remember experimenting with it somewhere between 2004 and 2008. As was stated, you do have to follow the instructions exactly. It is a high ratio recipe so the method is totally different from standard.

I didn't have any problems with it but I wasn't convinced that it was the best ever recipe either.  It was ok.  But I only ever used it twice..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%