Which Sugarpaste/fondant? - Discussion

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 1 Jun 2015 , 5:18am by julia1812

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 30 May 2015 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 8

Hey all

I know this ocnversation has probably been done to death, but I wanted to ask from a UK perspective as things are a little less easy to get over here ;)

Atm, I'm using Covapaste for my fondant needs. It's nice, easy to work with and great for covering a cake, doesn't tear too easily and gives a nice finish, but it's VERY soft and not at all ideal for modelling with as it tends to sink in on itself and shows every tiny dent! I've some CFC powder to try with it but was looking at trying a different brand.

For now, i've been getting all my fondant in bulk boxes of 5kg from Amazon UK. The last price I got the Covapaste for was about £20, which is a good price, works out about £4 a kg.

I'd love to try Satin Ice as I've read good reviews for it in lots of places, but it's nearly double the price! Currently it's about £20-22 per 2.5 kg, so, yeah, double the price.

There are others out there on Amazon, such as Renshaws, Culpitt, Wilton, Fondarific, Madame Lou Lou, Cupcake World and more! 

Does anyone know which is a good one for cost and taste? Or is there a better site to get them from other than Amazon?

I know personal preference is involved here, but I'd love to see which ones you professionals use :)

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 May 2015 , 10:30am
post #2 of 8

Sorry. No clue since I never worked with store bought fondant. But have you ever made yout own? I make 2-3 kg bulks at home. Only takes less than 20 mins.  It's inexpensive, I have the color I need (although mostly I do white and colour later as needed) and you can control the consistency.  More powdered sugar or corn starch= stiffer. 

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 May 2015 , 11:23am
post #3 of 8

Never ever ever Wilton. It's not really edible, in my humble opinion. 

CoinUK Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 8

I have pondered making my own MMF, @julia1812 . Some of the tutorials I've watched make it look relatively simple. I'm not sure how cost effective it is though? How does it work out pound for pound, so to speak?

CoinUK Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 8

Quote by @julia1812 on 5 hours ago

Sorry. No clue since I never worked with store bought fondant. But have you ever made yout own? I make 2-3 kg bulks at home. Only takes less than 20 mins.  It's inexpensive, I have the color I need (although mostly I do white and colour later as needed) and you can control the consistency.  More powdered sugar or corn starch= stiffer. 

I have pondered making my own MMF, @julia1812 . Some of the tutorials I've watched make it look relatively simple. I'm not sure how cost effective it is though? How does it work out pound for pound, so to speak?

julia1812 Posted 31 May 2015 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 8

Don't know what the costs are where you live. But 2.5 kg of rolled fondant cost me less than 5 £. Marshmallow fondant a bit more as marshmallows are so expensive here.

CoinUK Posted 31 May 2015 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 8

Hmm, might have to give it a go on my next day off then and see how it goes :)

Saying that, there's always a reason to use the pre-made stuff, just sometimes for convenience, getting a hard to make colour like black or deep red. 

julia1812 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:18am
post #8 of 8

That's true. I started using candy melts in my fondant for red color. Works a charm. Black normally darkens and isn't too much of a hassle but hardly ever need huge quantities of it. Otherwise I would go with candy melts too I guess. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%