What Should I Bake?

Baking By Emmo Updated 29 May 2015 , 6:06pm by Apti

Emmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmo Posted 28 May 2015 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 12

My dad's 60th birthday is on the 4th of July.  We will be camping.  Any ideas of what to bake for him?  Considering the heat/humidity/storage issues?

11 replies
Emmo Posted 28 May 2015 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 12

I should add that I will have access to a motel room where I can store it.. No large fridge.  But room temp should help.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 May 2015 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 12

Traveling how long? Room temp how long?

How long will be it from the point it leaves your refrigerator to the point that it will be served?

Emmo Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 12

Traveling an hour and a half and I can probably go straight to the motel with it.  Then it will be brought outside to eat the next day.  I'm thinking I probably don't want to deal with fondant.. do I?  hmm.  Any buttercream design ideas?  Should I avoid tiers?  I want to make something nice since it's a big birthday.  But nothing that will be a huge pain to travel with and maintain.. And red/white/blue would be fun.

johnson6ofus Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 12

So no super perishables--- no fruit, no cream cheese. What is your skill level? Even the fun red, white, blue layers are a cool surprise. Stars too (I like the suspended dangling ones) , but add in a "dad favorite" item like fishing, or golfing or whatever is his "thing".  Not too worried about stacking, as you can do that on site, with a repair kit in hand (lol) and makes for a bigger "wow" factor, no?

johnson6ofus Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 12

This one is a favorite, and you can tone down the stars and add more "dad" personal theme. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1732522/4th-of-july-cake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 12

i would make a pound cake in a bundt pan and serve it with fresh strawberries & canned whipped cream -- i would do a "60" out of colored pound cake batter baked in a small loaf pan and plant it in the pound cake batter so it shows when you cut it 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2015 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 12

cut out the 6-0  and place it where i knew it would show when i cut it - kwim

this video does it in a loaf pan -- there's more videos to do it any way you want

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 May 2015 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 12

I made this for my nephew who also has a birthday on July 4th.  It is a 4" high, 9x13 sheet, cut to form the "waving" flag.  I just wrapped the "pole" with fondant and applied silver luster dust.

The cake is a doctored white cake with sleeve raspberry filling, all shortening buttercream under the fondant.  This would hold up well under all the camping/motel/traveling conditions you described.

If you would like more information on the cake/frosting recipe or would like specific details, please let me know on this thread. 

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/63

Emmo Posted 29 May 2015 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 12

Gorgeous cakes, Johnson and Apti!
I'd say skill level intermediate to advanced.  I've made lots of fancy cakes as a hobby but I'm not a professional and don't have a large amount of gadgets.

k8memphis- that's a great idea! 

hmmmmm

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 May 2015 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 12

You could bake a simple looking cake from outside.  Maybe some 4th of July decoration. Then have a hidden "60" inside the cake. So when he cuts it, each slice has a 60. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 May 2015 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, Emmo.  Whatever you make, he will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%