Cupcake Toppers With Dragees, Other Decorative Elements And Quantity Sizes

Decorating By dmcclend Updated 2 Jun 2015 , 2:06am by dmcclend

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 27 May 2015 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I need some help from those of you that sell cupcakes. I have a unique situation where the client is requesting 700 cupcakes. My first thought was to say no because I never made that many before, but the more I thought about it I realized, YES I can do this and it will be a great way to get my cupcakes out in the public. BUT I'm back to self doubt again because I thought they would want some with an icing swirl and some with molded fondant decorations. They just informed that they like the piped henna paisley designs and the other cupcakes like the ones seen below with the gold dragees and gumpaste flowers. My question is to those that make cupcakes with toppers that include hard items like dragees and gumpaste flowers, what do you advise your clients to do with the toppers? Do you tell them that it is completely edible or do you suggest that they take the topper off and the guest can keep the flowers as souvenirs? Small children will be at this function. Also when you are creating highly decorated cupcakes what is a realistic quantity? I personally felt that if this order was for 50 or 75 max then the henna design would be doable. They don't want me to use a stencil. Any tips or advice that you can give me to help make these many cupcakes will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Danyelle

th?&id=JN.Rm9R9hfb6KlYU1JIsZdqvA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0     th?&id=JN.cxEIHocWxN1MBG0yaJ5rTg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

5 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 28 May 2015 , 12:20am
post #2 of 6

Quote by @dmcclend on 23 minutes ago

Hi Everyone,

I need some help from those of you that sell cupcakes. I have a unique situation where the client is requesting 700 cupcakes. My first thought was to say no because I never made that many before, but the more I thought about it I realized, YES I can do this and it will be a great way to get my cupcakes out in the public. BUT I'm back to self doubt again because I thought they would want some with an icing swirl and some with molded fondant decorations. They just informed that they like the piped henna paisley designs and the other cupcakes like the ones seen below with the gold dragees and gumpaste flowers. My question is to those that make cupcakes with toppers that include hard items like dragees and gumpaste flowers, what do you advise your clients to do with the toppers? Do you tell them that it is completely edible or do you suggest that they take the topper off and the guest can keep the flowers as souvenirs? Just tell your client what is edible and what is not, and it is their responsibilty to advice their guests about it.  Small children will be at this function. Also when you are creating highly decorated cupcakes what is a  realistic quantity? Different bakers, different limitations, different situations. I personally felt that if this order was for 50 or 75 max then the henna design would be doable. They don't want me to use a stencil. Why would you let a client tell you how to do your job? Any tips or advice that you can give me to help make these many cupcakes will be greatly appreciated. Time management, schedule everything from baking, making the decorations, etc., plan on how you will store and deliver, make sure to get fully paid before you do anything, make all your agreement in writing.

Thank you,

Danyelle

th?&id=JN.Rm9R9hfb6KlYU1JIsZdqvA&w=300&h     th?&id=JN.cxEIHocWxN1MBG0yaJ5rTg&w=300&h

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 28 May 2015 , 12:59am
post #3 of 6

Just being nosey .... what are you charging for these. I have a order for cupcakes, that are pretty detailed, so was wondering about pricing. 

The flowers could be made weeks ahead of time, so thats a big plus as far as time management. The storage container that someone else suggested was a awesome idea and a great price too. She said about 100 cupcakes would fit in each container ..... it is so much less stressful (for me atleast) to say to yourself .... I have to make 7 containers of cupcakes. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2015 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 6

i would not use dragees nor gum paste flowers on the cupcakes -- i would use the flowers and string pearls on the display though --

a cupcake is finger food -- a personal cakelette which already packs the potential to make a mess of the clothes of the one eating it -- then if on top of getting their fingers messy they have to pick off and find somewhere to put random unedible decor and dispose of the wrapper -- it mars the eating experience -- can be complicated/unpleasant for the wedding guest especially if it's a buffet with casual seating -- 

i'd use royal icing dots  painted and i'd use fondant with cornstarch kneaded in to make any flowers 

best to you

dmcclend Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

Thank you Thecakewitch! You are absolutely right I AM my boss and it is about me being efficient  and controlling my work.

dmcclend Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 2:06am
post #6 of 6

Thank you K8memphis for the great advice and explanation! I truly appreciate your time.

Littlemo12  my base price for my regular cupcakes are $2.50 (that's based on my costs and speed). Depending on the final design I will be adding another $2 starting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%