How To Clean Fondant To Look Neat.

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 27 May 2015 , 8:22pm by bupbup74

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hello...I was wondering how you guys clean the fondant from corn starch or powdered sugar being left on it. Specially a dark colored fondant? I have been using a brush with very little water but some places are leaving wet spots and I'm hoping there is a better way. And suggestion? 

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 9

Just use a fluffy dry brush, the cornstarch will dust right off.  Using water could make a paste with the cornstarch.

SoniaMT Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks pastrybaglady! I'll try that this time. 

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 26 May 2015 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 9

I use a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and add a little bit of water.

I brush the cake very gently with the towel. like this:

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 26 May 2015 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 9

I use a soft brush, if that doesnt work then wipe gently with vodka or decorator's rose spirit or any clear alcohol. (wipe with brush or larger patches can be wiped with cotton wool ball)

SoniaMT Posted 27 May 2015 , 1:25am
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys! These are all great ideas I will be trying! Just curious ...Will the vodka leave a vodka taste or smell on the fondant? 

rswift90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rswift90 Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:00am
post #7 of 9

My method I always use is a large fluffy pastry brush and dust off the entire cake (dusting as you go is helpful is the corn starch seems harder to brush off the longer it sits on the fondant)  and using an airbrush with only water and spray the entire cake with a light mist which dissolves the stubborn parts that won't dust off  hope that helps! 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 27 May 2015 , 5:25am
post #8 of 9

Quote by @SoniaMT on 3 hours ago

Just curious ...Will the vodka leave a vodka taste or smell on the fondant? 

No - the alcohol evaporates very quickly, and leaves it pure dry.  You use less than 1/4 teaspoon

bupbup74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bupbup74 Posted 27 May 2015 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 9

I find steam works the best at cleaning off all the leftover "dust" from powdered sugar/cornstarch.  I usually brush it off as much as possible first, and then I set it on my bathroom counter with the door closed and my shower running on the hottest setting.  Using a clothes steamer works as well, just don't get too close, or stay in one spot for too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%