Looking To Hire... What Is The Best Forum For Finding Experienced Cake Decorators?

Business By J0SOUTHWELL Updated 29 May 2015 , 12:28am by J0SOUTHWELL

J0SOUTHWELL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J0SOUTHWELL Posted 24 May 2015 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bakery located in Charlotte, NC. It is an established cake shop and our business is doing well. I am looking to hire experienced cake decorators and wanted to know how other bakeries went about searching for qualified candidates.

We advertise on Craig's List, posted positions with Johnson and Wales, and listed jobs on the Indeed website. So far the responses have been a little disappointing.

Would love to hear you thoughts on the best way to find the best associates!

6 replies
embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 7

Disappointing in terms of...?

J0SOUTHWELL Posted 27 May 2015 , 12:19am
post #3 of 7

Most of the people responding to our ads have no experience. We are looking for candidates that have some cake decorating experience and some basic piping skills.

embersmom Posted 27 May 2015 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 7

Is there a culinary school or a vo-tech school in your area?  If there is, perhaps you could expand your search there.  You'd know, at least, that somebody from there has some experience.

Have you been crystal clear in your help wanted ad that experience is required?  I remember my old employer saying"experience a plus" on their ad for another decorator and all they got were inexperienced people because of the "plus".

My current employer has never had much luck with CL, if that's any consolation.

Around my way positions are often difficult to find because once somebody has one they'll hang onto it forever and a day.

J0SOUTHWELL Posted 28 May 2015 , 1:53am
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the response! We have posted on the Johnson and Wales career center site but so far have not received any applicants. We will continue our search and be patient. I'm sure the right we will find the right person eventually.

Thanks again!

embersmom Posted 28 May 2015 , 11:14am
post #6 of 7

I just thought of this: J&W is up in RI and you're down in NC.  If somebody from J&W were to apply for your position, they'd have to be local to you because they'd have to move down there to work for you and it's expensive to move...you know? Maybe that's why you haven't gotten any applicants from their site.  Just a thought.

J0SOUTHWELL Posted 29 May 2015 , 12:28am
post #7 of 7

J & W has a campus here in Charlotte.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%