Cover Cake With Fondant (4 Different Colours)

Decorating By suzied Updated 25 May 2015 , 5:44am by suzied

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 5

http://contessascakes.weebly.com/cakes.html    I have  to cover a cake with four different colours in fondant, similar to the wiggles cake on the above site. creating 8 segments on a round cake (each segment is a different colour) . have i to do each one individually or is there an easier way to do it.  Any advice welcome. thanks CCers

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2015 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 5

The easiest thing to do would be to start with a cake pan or a cake dummy and use it to make a paper template of the shape that you'll need to cut out to make each section. Then use that as a pattern and apply the sections individually to the cake.

suzied Posted 25 May 2015 , 1:02am
post #3 of 5

Thank you costumeczar. I will give it a try.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 May 2015 , 1:26am
post #4 of 5

I would do as above but then use baking paper to place the panels on the cake - look up the Jessica Harris wax paper transfer method, it makes it so much easier to apply fondant when you need the pieces to hold their shape exactly.

suzied Posted 25 May 2015 , 5:44am
post #5 of 5

Thank you bub1stbirthday. will have a look. good idea. one more question, do you think it would be advisable if i cover the cake with a very thin layer of fondant and then do the panels over (segments - triangular). i am scared thinking that the buttercream would seep through while smoothing it out. anyway will practise. cake is due in sept. thanks once again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%