If You Aren't Supposed To Refrigerate Fondant

Baking By DJFIT9999 Updated 26 May 2015 , 9:27pm by -K8memphis

DJFIT9999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DJFIT9999 Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing my daughter's wedding cake next month. I am going to bake on Sunday and freeze. Then defrost, ganache on Thursday. Fondant on Friday. Wedding on Saturday.

My question is: Many of the threads here say to deliver a cake cold, which makes sense. But, if you aren't really supposed to refrigerate fondant, how do you do that? 

The wedding is at 5:00.  Cake can be delivered to the venue anytime on Saturday and stay in an air conditioned space until being moved to the outdoor barn when the reception starts. 

I'm so confused!

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 13

i fridge all my cakes -- i deliver them all cold from the fridge -- no worries

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2015 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 13

I refrigerate fondant all the time, and the humidity and heat here in the summer are pretty bad. When the cakes come out of the fridge they can "sweat" a little but if you leave them alone the moisture will evaporate off of the surface and they'll be fine. Don't touch them while they look sticky or you'll leave marks on them!

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 24 May 2015 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 13

Who says you're not *supposed* to refrigerate fondant?

DJFIT9999 Posted 24 May 2015 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 13

Should I store it in a box in the refrigerator and leave it in the box once I get to the reception venue? I was going to finish stacking at the venue since I'm just a hobby baker and do this only for friends and family. I've never transported a 4 tier cake before! 

baker101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker101 Posted 24 May 2015 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 13

You're right people do say not the fridge them all the time but I think it just depends on where you live humidity wise cause i notice people who live in extremely hot climates complain about their cakes if they are put in the fridge they say they start to melt so its gotta be something to do with that. I have always put my cakes in the fridge for 10 years now and no issues. I always deliver my cakes cold to the venue and deliver them within an hour of when guests will arrive if Im not able to do that the cake goes in the fridge at the venue until that time. Leaving it out even in air conditioning can cause it to get too warm if left for a long time. At max I like my cakes to be at room temp no more then a 2-3 hours and since its probably going to be looked at for that amount of time by wedding guests I always plan to deliver mine just before anyone is due to arrive just to be on the safe side. For a 4 tier make sure you put more then enough doweling so there wont be an mishaps. I have always transported my cakes stacked already and with a centre dowel put down the centre of the entire cake, but if you dont feel comfortable doing that then assembling on site is perfectly fine whichever works! Good luck on your 1st 4 tier :)

DJFIT9999 Posted 25 May 2015 , 12:17am
post #7 of 13

Thank you everyone! 

And we do live in a humid climate (southern Tennessee) so I am a bit worried but I feel as though I have a plan now! 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 25 May 2015 , 7:09am
post #8 of 13

I heard that too and didn't dare putting a cake with fondant in the fridge. Until I tried it to see what happens...NOTHING. They are fine in the fridge. Okay, unless you place them next to some good old cheese

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 13

I'm glad someone brought this question up, even though I don't do a lot of fondant covered cakes, but I do a lot of fondant decorations.  I'm doing my son's wedding cake for a wedding on June 6th.  They don't want fondant, they want a cream cheese/mascarpone cheese frosting on the cake with fondant decorations.  We live in Sacramento, California where it's usually fairly warm this time of year and this year we've had lots of wind.  The wedding is scheduled for 5 p.m. and it's outside.  The meal will be inside with doors open, and that's where the cake will be.  I've been told that refrigeration and the cream cheese will melt the fondant so I've been trying to figure out how to decorate the cake without having to do it last minute at the wedding.  I was hoping to set the cake out right after the ceremony just before the meal and keep it in a refrigerator or cooler during the ceremony.  Will it be safe to do that with fondant decorations on it?  Will the cream cheese/mascarpone cheese frosting melt the fondant decorations and make the coloring on the fondant bleed onto the frosting like I've been told?  The boldest color on the cake will be teal colored tulips and succulents.  The frosting is going to be off-white.  I'm hoping the teal won't discolor the frosting.  Any suggestions or tips?

susaneholcomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susaneholcomb Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 13

I live in Texas and cant get much hotter and humid. i refrigerate fondant all the time and have no issue. yes, once taken out they get a little tacky feeling due to the sweat, but leave them alone and they will be fine.

I always stack my cakes before delivery. i do not stack them there unless using pillars. use good structure internally and you will be fine to deliver.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 May 2015 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 13

I'm glad to hear that.  I guess no matter what I hear I'm still going to be a bit nervous because this is my first wedding cake, and probably my last.  I don't like the stress associated with wedding cakes!  This is my last child getting married and probably my last wedding cake!  Thanks for all the info and help!

baker101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker101 Posted 26 May 2015 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 13

hmm i see your point with the cream cheese and fondant question. Well Id be worried if you were covering the cream cheese frosting with fondant but since you are not then thats one less issue. Since there are no dark colours blacks, reds, drk blues and the only colour is teal they should be fine teal doesnt typically run and with the cream cheese moisture I dont think with this colour you would have much of any issues. I would just keep it in the fridge for as long as you can before people arrive that will see it ,depending on the air conditioning situation the warmer the cream cheese gets the frumpier the cake will look over time so the goal is the keep it cold for the longest you can and everything should be fine just make sure to use lots of supports since cream cheese frosting is soft and will be working against you :) and if it was me Id stack it before taking it to the venue its one less thing to worry about since its going to be a busy day for you anyway and Ive been doing this for 10 years now and the stress of wedding cakes never goes away lol its a big responsibility and no room for error. Good luck to your familys big day hope it all goes well!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2015 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 13

cream cheese/marscapone? these are hazardous ingredients and have to be handled carefully or they can make people sick -- you should check your local regulations for how to proceed for safety 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%