Chocolate Mud Cake Vs Chocolate Pound Cake For 3D Carving

Baking By Prath Updated 24 May 2015 , 8:09pm by Prath

Prath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prath Posted 23 May 2015 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hey guys, I am wondering if you guys can help me figure out if one is better over the other or if they are equally good. I use mud cake for my carving and the price adds up because of the amount of chocolate required. So I am trying to figure out if chocolate pound cake can be a not so expensive alternative.

4 replies
carmie00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmie00 Posted 23 May 2015 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 5

I use a chocolate mud cake for carving too.  I find that the taste is just so much better than a chocolate pound.  It is so much richer.  You can use the bits for cake pops and they are divine!  The pound cake will carve well too but if they ask for chocolate, I always go with the mud.

Prath Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Carmie! I agree on the taste mud cake tastes much better. Just wanted to have,an alternative when the client doesn't  want to pay for mud cake 

carmie00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmie00 Posted 24 May 2015 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 5

Pound cake carves very well. It might be a cheaper alternative but by the time you carve a cake, there are hours and hours of your time involved.  My cost is the same whether it is mud or pound.  $10 in ingredients is essentially a drop in the bucket when it comes to a carved cake.  Now if I'm making a regular tiered cake or something, then there is a price difference with that.

Prath Posted 24 May 2015 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

Exactly my thoughts Carmie told them that the size of the cake doesn't change much and with car cakes one needs a minimum size. I told them that I will look into alternatives though I wasn't sure if I can find any. I guess mud cake is the way to go since it wouldn't make sense to compromise on taste just to save 10-15 dollars

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%