I Need Some Help!!

Decorating By Fabricake Updated 23 May 2015 , 5:30pm by costumeczar

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 23 May 2015 , 10:32am
post #1 of 6
I need some HELP!! Normally I'm pretty good at thinking up solutions for cake problems, but this one I've drawn a blank!
Someone has asked me to make a cake in the shape of a 3D (standing up) glass with Champagne in it.
I don't have a problem with the structure or with the shaping of the cake, my problem is how do I make a pretty substantial lump of cake look like thin transparent glass? How can I achieve that glass affect? I thought about Isomalt, but the cake is just too big and I don't have anything to use as a mould! Please help I've got two weeks to think of a solution.
5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 6

the only thing i can think of is have it overflow all the way around or just use a little section of cooked sugar to be the 'glass' -- or what about some kind of gelatin concoction -- and use a cake pan for the mold or a pot that's all so nicely rounded inside --

think about cooking some sugar and leaving it in the pot to cool -- reheat it for a few to pop it out and you're there -- so if you just pour some out as it cools you got it -- see what i mean

-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 6

or a bowl -- i have a couple stainless steel bowls would be perfect

-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2015 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 6

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 minute ago

the only thing i can think of is have it overflow all the way around or just use a little section of cooked sugar to be the 'glass' -- or what about some kind of gelatin concoction -- and use a cake pan for the mold or a pot that's all so nicely rounded inside --

think about cooking some sugar and leaving it in the pot to cool -- reheat it for a few to pop it out and you're there -- so if you just pour some out as it cools you got it -- see what i mean

using the 'little section' i mean if the champagne was overflowing with the glass tipped over some -- you only need to have a small portion of the glass to be see through -- the rest would be champagne --

and the 'pouring some out' part -- then the sugar left in the bowl or pot would be hollow -- like how you make chocolate shells for bonbons -- fill mold with chocolate then pour it out so it becomes hollow repeat as necessary for strength then fill --

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 23 May 2015 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your help.

I did think of doing it that way and looked a every pan, bowl, cake tin that I own and even contemplated using a large bottle!! but a champagne glass is such a specific shape it's difficult to fine something similar.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 May 2015 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

I'd just make it out of cake, cover it with fondant and not worry about it looking transparent. Use corn syrup or non-stick vegetable oil spray to make it look shiny and paint the fondant to look like there's a colored champagne in the glass. Otherwise you'll be messing with a large amount of sugar/isomalt that will be guaranteed to break on you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%