My First Photo Cake

Decorating By lydthompson Updated 24 May 2015 , 3:02am by lydthompson

lydthompson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lydthompson Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have a question about a Photo Cake.  My cake needs to be ready Saturday so I'm planning on frosting it on Friday.  My question is:    Do Photo Cakes transfer well?  Photos will be on the side of two round cakes.. not top.  I'm concerned that in transporting them my pictures will move somehow and mess up or bleed.

Can you give me some advice? 

5 replies
Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 21 May 2015 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 6

Using photo transfer on top of cake is safer than sides. There are less forces at work on the top. Sides settle, bulge, shift & even the slightest movement can ruin a photo image. Is there any way to apply the photo on site? Is it possible to put photo on top of cake? Also keep in mind if you have a chilled cake going to room temp, condensation will warp your photo, as well.  I'd Google search every article I can find on the subject....good luck!

lydthompson Posted 21 May 2015 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Shasha2727. I have to put photos on side as its tiered but can do on-site.  Its my dads 80th birthday so wish me luck. Maybe I'll post how it goes. Nervous! 

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 22 May 2015 , 12:21am
post #4 of 6

Are the photos printed on rice paper ? If so, I did a cake that had several photos (all printed on the rice paper). They ended up bleeding a little. So the next cake I did with photos ... I rolled some fondant out as thin as I could get it ... then transferred that photos to the fondant, trimmed them up then placed them on the cake.... the finished product was so much nicer.

lydthompson Posted 22 May 2015 , 10:44am
post #5 of 6

Thanks littlemo12. The seller said they were not rice or wafer sheets. They are a little blueish instead of black and white and that has me worried. Too late now...the parties tomorrow. Still nervous but I figured if it starts going badly, I just decorate with frosting and skip the pictures.

lydthompson Posted 24 May 2015 , 3:02am
post #6 of 6

The cake turned out good!!  Couldn't figure out how to attach a picture to show you. Tell me..I'll attach.  I frosted Friday and added the pictures this morning on site. Water dissolved my picture...buttercream worked great. The pics didn't melt into the buttercream as it wasn't fresh but I liked it that wsy. We peeled them off before serving. It was a hit!!  Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%