Help I Think I Over Did It On Fondant!!!!!!

Decorating By Xochiquetzal Updated 24 May 2015 , 12:41pm by -K8memphis

Xochiquetzal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xochiquetzal Posted 21 May 2015 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 24

I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP! I MADE BUTTERCREAM FONDANT AND NOW ITS ALL CRUMBLY AND NOT WORKABLE WHAT DO I DO? CAN YOU EVER USE TO MUCH SHORTENING ON FONDANT!! I THINK I MIGHT HAVE OVER DOSED MY FONDANT WITH SHORTENING! PLEASE HELP ME

23 replies
MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 24

Crumbly? Can you post a photo? Have you tried adding more powdered sugar?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 24

If it's crumbly then there probably isn't enough shortening.  Crumbly would indicate it is dry...not enough shortening &/or liquid.  You need to post the recipe *exactly* how you made it - maybe someone can help then.  And yes, a photo would help too.

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 24

I was thinking the same thing... It can't be too much shortening if it's crumbly... Sometimes it'll look crumbly but you just need to knead it more. How long have you mixed it for?

Xochiquetzal Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 24

Yes i added more powered sugar and it made it worst

Xochiquetzal Posted 21 May 2015 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 24

ok hold on let me take a photo

Xochiquetzal Posted 21 May 2015 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 24

I needed it for a long time even put it in the microwave. i have the pics but i don't know how to upload them on here

MinaBakes Posted 21 May 2015 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 24

You might have to upload them to like a google account or even facebook and then get the URL for that pic by right clicking it

Xochiquetzal Posted 21 May 2015 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 24

heres the pic its uploaded here on cake central

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3340981/fondant-disaster

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 May 2015 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 24

Did you add some white chocolate to your fondant?  If so - maybe too much?  Warming it up in the microwave then re-kneading didn't help bring it together?  Is this homemade fondant or a purchased fondant?  If homemade what went into it?  Doesn't look like anything I've made before.  Are you sure you added powdered sugar and not flour by mistake?

Xochiquetzal Posted 22 May 2015 , 1:44am
post #11 of 24

no the recipe said 1 c. of light syrup 1 cup of shortening  and 1 tsp salt 1 of vanilla and a pound of powdered sugar

MinaBakes Posted 22 May 2015 , 3:35am
post #12 of 24

It might be that the recipe isn't a good one... Is this your first time making fondant from scratch? Do you have the link to the recipe?

Xochiquetzal Posted 22 May 2015 , 3:41am
post #13 of 24

yes its my first time making this butter cream fondant but i have made marshmallow fondant and this didn't happen its a youtube recipe i think from allmyrecipes

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 May 2015 , 5:00am
post #14 of 24

I make homemade fondant too. But I am using gelatine and milk (which you don't) and glucose syrup. 

It looks dry to me too and I don't know if you can ever get it stretchy without gelatin?

Try another recipe I would suggest

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:57am
post #15 of 24

rolled butter cream has different properties than other 'fondants' it's not easily adaptable as a cake cover - doesn't knead well just needs to be combined -- makes a great sugar cookie icing

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:57am
post #16 of 24

rolled butter cream has different properties than other 'fondants' it's not easily adaptable as a cake cover - doesn't knead well just needs to be combined -- makes a great sugar cookie icing

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 10:00am
post #17 of 24

Add some more corn syrup to get it back but if you melted the fat in the micro I don't know...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2015 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 24

That recipe isn't for fondant, it's for rolled buttercream, which is supposed to be a fondant-looking covering. It won't work like fondant and it's not going to behave like it either. If I remember correctly you can roll out rolled buttercream between two sheets of plastic wrap to prevent it from sticking, but since you've been adding other stuff to it I don't know if it will behave the right way.

If you want to make fondant, not rolled buttercream, you can make either marshmallow fondant, which I don't personally like, but a lot of people use it, or just make the classic version. That's 1/4 cup cold water, 1 Tbsp gelatin, 2 lbs powdered sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup or glucose, 1 Tbsp glycerine, and maybe 1 Tbsp Crisco. Google "fondant recipes" and see what comes up with those ingredients for the instructions.

Xochiquetzal Posted 22 May 2015 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 24

I only left it in the microwave about 5 sec. No more just to soften it up a lil. Maybe i over kneaded it also so am going to check it out today and see how it looks ive only added more shortening nothing else.  I just really dont want to throw it away, but if theres no solution well i will however i would like to find a way to fix this simply just to have as a reference for any other attempts in the future. 

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2015 , 5:15pm
post #20 of 24

what i suggest is take a little of it and add some corn syrup and see if that won't fix it -- try it with just a bit so you have more of a chance to see how it does and can save more of it that way -- there's no kneading to it -- just mix it

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 22 May 2015 , 7:30pm
post #21 of 24

costumeczar is right, that is rolled buttercream.  It does not work well on cakes. It's used more to cover sugar cookies and maybe cupcakes. I know the allrecipe video you're talking about and if you'll notice, the cake looked just awful when they covered it.  I wouldn't try to cover a cake with that unless I had a lot of decorations to go over it.  

They shouldn't have called it buttercream fondant, it's very misleading. 

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 22 May 2015 , 9:26pm
post #22 of 24

I wet my hand in the water and re-knead it, until soft, use Crisco as well.

Xochiquetzal Posted 24 May 2015 , 5:08am
post #23 of 24

Jinkies yes i do member how it was ripping but i also seen the way she was rolling and i thought she needed some more practice :) well that was def my fault.

-K8memphis i will try adding more syrup to a lil piece see how that looks

ZlatkaT i will also try that as well hopefully something will work. ill be sure to let you all know :) BUT THANK YOU VERY MUCH ON THESE HELPFUL TIPS AND OVER ALL MUCH NEEDED INFORMATION.

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2015 , 12:41pm
post #24 of 24

you're so sweet -- and if you find it doesn't work as you had intended for this project -- it will freeze for you and you can use it later to roll out and ice some cut out cookies -- just cut the same shape out of the rolled buttercream at the same time you cut the  cookie -- then put cookies in oven and icing in freezer --  then apply frozen icing cut outs to hot cookies -- bam!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%