Cake Made Three Days Too.early

Decorating By justpracticecakes Updated 11 Jun 2015 , 10:25pm by jmt1714

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 17

I had an order for a fondant covered cake with hand painted leopard print. I finished the cake today and the customer messages me and tells me that she told me the wrong due date . she doesnt need the cake until sunday. Can i freeze this cake??? Or should i just put it in a box and put it in the fridge. I really dont want to remake the cake if this one can be stored and served.

16 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 17

Well if you do a "can you freeze a fondant cake"  Google search, you will find instructions for doing so and people saying the cakes were fine. Some of the posts are on this site.  I would be worried about your leopard print though.

This is really the customer's mistake so it should be her decision based on if you have the time for a do-over or if she will take a chance on freezing it.  Also, of course she would pay for the cake twice if she wants it re-done.

justpracticecakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 17

I agree. I told her i did not have time for a do over. I read a few articles about freezing fondant cakes. But like you said none of them mentioned how the paint holds uo after freezing. I dont know what im going to do.i wonder if i box it up and put it in the fridge if it would be fresh enough to serve.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 17

Yes, if it was just white or solid coloured fondant you wrap it in plastic wrap but it is the painting that is the issue. Can the cake be boxed and then wrapped in plastic (even a garbage bag)?

Hhmn I wonder if you could take some fondant and use the same colours of paint and pattern and try freezing it in a bagged box overnight to see the effect?

I think that refrigerating the cake until Sunday is just too long.

It is all such a shame.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 17

Rae of BlakesCakes on CakeCentral has specific instructions on how to freeze a fully decorated fondant cake.  Read the entire thread and note the photographs:
http://cakecentral.com/t/742444/freezing-a-wedding-cake-2-week-in-advance

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 17

Well there you go. Apti's link to BlakesCakes  post shows a red damask effect on white which looks perfect.  And if red didn't bleed out, following the instructions you should be fine. Thanks Apti.

justpracticecakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you so much !!!!  Im gonna freeze it.wish me luck.

justpracticecakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 17

Thank you so much !!!!  Im gonna freeze it.wish me luck.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2015 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 17

Good Luck!  If you get a chance please post a picture of the thawed cake and comments from your customer regarding taste and texture.

justpracticecakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 12:05am
post #10 of 17

I will . im going to take before and after pictures . and i just messaged my customer and told her that im going to freeze it and she said ok. I feel bad for her but i worked all night and part of today trying to have it ready for her by tomorrow.....im going to start messaging my coustomers and ask if they are sure of the dates from now on.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 12:07am
post #11 of 17

Once burned, twice shy! 

Bogginboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogginboy Posted 20 May 2015 , 12:45am
post #12 of 17

Just slowly bring the temperature back up or the fondant will sweat and if it is slowly brought back to room temperature then it shouldn't sweat ( my own personal opinion) maybe put it in the fridge after it is frozen good and slowly let it thaw then put it in an air conditioned area and slowly bring the temp up again that's just my own opinion

Bonne Bouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonne Bouche Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 17

I don't know guys-- I've always heard that freezing fondant, or even refrigerating it makes it crack and sweat.  It's only three days-- I'd wrap it up in plastic wrap, cover it with foil and leave it in the coolest place I could find-- not the fridge or freezer.

I supposed you've already done it-- how did it work out for you?

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 17

Make sure she understands that it will not be as fresh.

If it was me I would give it to her anyway...and she would be responsible for freezing it.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 17

So what happened with the cake?  The original post was May 19th. @justpracticecakes how did the cake survive thawing?

justpracticecakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 17

Worked perfectly !!! I would upload before and after pictures but I have them on my phone and can't upload any more . But they said it tasted wonderful . No problem at all . I must say that you do have to prep it exactly as described and thaw still wrapped and in the fridge keep your room temp cool and I used a small fan to help dry the slight shinyness .

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 17

I put completed fondant covered cakes in the fridge every time. That definitely isn't an issue. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%