Wilton 3D Cupcakes Pan Questions

Baking By kitten1021 Updated 19 May 2015 , 4:10pm by johnson6ofus

kitten1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitten1021 Posted 18 May 2015 , 5:38am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, 

I am planning to buy one of the 3D cupcakes pan by Wilton. This one makes 3 cupcakes at a time via 3 tops and 3 bottoms (so not to be confused with the giant cupcake pan) 

I was wondering if anyone knew some info:

1. What size wrappers do you need for this pan? Standard or Jumbo?

2. Approximately what size are the assembled cupcakes? I don't need an exact measurement just like are they double the size of standard cupcakes or a bit bigger or smaller than a standard. Just trying to get an idea of the size compared to a standard cupcake.

3. How much batter does it take to fill all 6 cavities. I've been told you fill them 3/4 of the way full but I'm unsure if that's true. I'm just trying to find out how much batter I will need to buy. 

Any info or advice about this 3D cupcakes pan would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

9 replies
Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 18 May 2015 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 10

Your pan should come with the necessary information attached to it.  If yours does not, you can check the Wilton web site.  If you are not baking a plain cupcake shape then using shortening and flour is what you need to do to get your baked goods out of the pan - even if they are supposed to be non-stick pans. Baking a test batch of cakes in your new pan well ahead of when you plan on using them for real is the best way to get a fee for what your pans can do for you.  :)

Happyfood Posted 18 May 2015 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 10

Oops, that should have read *feel* not *fee* .

kitten1021 Posted 19 May 2015 , 2:00am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for attempting to answer my questions. I did check the Wilton website and the info I asked about is not there. I am sure the pan will come with some of this info but I was trying to find out ahead of time so I can go ahead and order how much batter I will need and plan how I am going to decorate them. As far as the wrappers go, the cupcakes are normal shape but supposedly 3D. I am unsure if they require standard wrappers or the jumbo ones. If no one knows I will just have to wait until I get the pan to order the correct size wrappers. Thanks again for trying to help. 

Ive tried to add a pic, if it shows up this is the pan I'm talking about

2105-0678.jpg

kitten1021 Posted 19 May 2015 , 2:02am
post #5 of 10

Quote by @kitten1021 on 20 hours ago

Hi everyone, 

I am planning to buy one of the 3D cupcakes pan by Wilton. This one makes 3 cupcakes at a time via 3 tops and 3 bottoms (so not to be confused with the giant cupcake pan) 

I was wondering if anyone knew some info:

1. What size wrappers do you need for this pan? Standard or Jumbo?

2. Approximately what size are the assembled cupcakes? I don't need an exact measurement just like are they double the size of standard cupcakes or a bit bigger or smaller than a standard. Just trying to get an idea of the size compared to a standard cupcake.

3. How much batter does it take to fill all 6 cavities. I've been told you fill them 3/4 of the way full but I'm unsure if that's true. I'm just trying to find out how much batter I will need to buy. 

Any info or advice about this 3D cupcakes pan would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

Here is a pic of the pan I'm talking about

2105-0678.jpg

Happyfood Posted 19 May 2015 , 4:24am
post #6 of 10

Okay, Now I understand which pan you are talking about.  I found this link at the Wilton site. http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=152462  Apparently there are a few glitches to work with when using this pan. 

An easy way to figure out how much cake batter you will need for each pan would be to fill one of the cavities with water to equal the amount of batter you will be putting in.  Pour this water out into a measuring cup. Now you will know how much cake batter you will need.  If you multiply by 6, you will be able to figure out how much batter you will need for each pan of cakes you want to bake.  Since each pan bakes only three cupcakes, you will need to do a bit of additional math to figure out how many pans you will be baking to complete your project ( with a few extra for disasters or sampling of course).

I do not believe you will find papers to match this mold as Wilton usually expects a person to treat them like a cake pan.  This will mean finishing with frosting or melted chocolate. Oh, and they are non-stick but you will still be better off if you grease then down with shortening and wash in between batches to prevent sticking.

It looks like this is a cute but time consuming project as each pan only yields three cupcakes so if you are going to be baking one dozen of them, you will likely have an hour invested in baking time.  I only mention this because out of curiosity, I purchased one of those cute little cake ball pans.  They can make nice little cake balls that are solid cake but to make any quantity of these, you need to invest a lot of time into the baking process.  Still a cute idea if you have a little bit of cake batter left over or a box of Jiffy cake mix laying around and you want to occupy a kiddo for a while. 

Let us know how these turned out.  :)

kitten1021 Posted 19 May 2015 , 5:00am
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not too worried about how time consuming it will be because I'm disabled and basically have all day everyday free unless I have a doctors or other appt to go too. I'm am going a bit crazy and overboard with the whole project but it's a labor of love because it's for my boyfriend's graduation party. I am very proud of him because he earned a Masters degree so I'm willing to put in the work. I'll also be meeting his family for the first time and I'd like these to be really nice to hopefully impress them some since he's told them that I'm an amazing cook, baker, and crafter (his words not mine but I do agree that I'm not bad at it all) 

i do hope I can find a wrapper that will work cause I never have made any kind of dipped cupcakes. 

Thanks for for the link, I will check it out :)

kitten1021 Posted 19 May 2015 , 5:25am
post #8 of 10

Ok I have checked out the link and I believe what most of that is referring too the Giant cupcake pan which make one giant cupcake but I am glad to have seen that because I am considering making one of those too. 

I did do some more research and I found that they also sell a Jumbo muffin pan that the description says you can make cupcakes in as well so I might go with that because it uses the Jumbo wrappers which I can easily get and I wont have to worry about trying and hoping to find wrappers that fit the 3D pan. Also there is the benefit that the muffin pan wont require me to assemble two halfs of the cupcakes. So I think I am am going to forget about the 3D pan and go with the muffin pan. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2015 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 10

The pan you posted IS large (I own it). No wrappers for these babies. Tops hold about 2/3 cup batter , bottoms about 1/3 cup. Each "cupcake" is about 4 servings I guess. 

Bought the pan, never used it... so no help there. Got batter amounts by measuring with water. Top holds almost a full cup, and bottom holds 1/2 cup, 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2015 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 10

I for got to add...

I once found these cute small silicone bowls. Bought a set of them. I baked "domes" in these bowls and added them to the top of my cupcakes to have a "super dome" effect for ornament cupcakes.

Also, you can just be generous on the batter amounts (a bit) and bake for 5 minutes at 375 degrees and then drop to 325 for the remaining time to also get "bountiful" domes. 

These may be other options to create a similar effect without making them super large or individually. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%