Candy Melt Sea Shells

Decorating By Neva Updated 29 Sep 2005 , 3:02am by NEWTODECORATING

Neva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neva Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the coloring right with candy melts for sea shells. I'm having a hard time getting the swirling effect. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
Neva

8 replies
southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:19am
post #2 of 9

I'm interested in that effect as well. I tired swirling two different colors of melts together............but that didn't get the pretty swirl.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:25am
post #3 of 9

According to Wilton, you melt the colors separately and then stir the two colors together with a lolipop stick...I prefer to use a toothpick, careful not to overmix!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:29am
post #4 of 9

Yup....you melt the two colors seperately and mix.Use less of the color you want to stand out.When I made candy melt seashells I used white and a few drops of orange and lightly swirled.Not too much though or it begin to mix too much and makes a creamy color.Same with chocolate and white.The effect is great!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

BTW..welcome to Cakecentral!! We are glad to have you here!

lynsval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynsval Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

Everyone's advice is right on. The only thing that I would add is, after you melt your chocolate or candy melts, separately in larger bowls, use a much smaller bowl to mix the colors you will carefully spoon into your molds. You can only do a small bit at a time because the colors start to mix up too much. I use the small plastic throw away bowls from Smart & Final to mix my chocolate in. Have fun, being a bit careful with the mixing gives such great results!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 2:58am
post #7 of 9

Well I guess I am the odd ball in this group. There is always one and this time I'm it.
I tried the mixing method-didn't get what I was looking for, so.....
I used my paint brush and painted a THIN coat of the candy in the mold, when it set I then put a thicker coat only where I wanted the color to be darker, let it set, then filled with white candy. You can check out the shells I did last weekend in my pics. Oh yeah, I also dry brushed with a little old gold and pearl dust. They actually were prettier in person than the pic.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:01am
post #8 of 9

Wow, they turned out beautiful!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:02am
post #9 of 9

Thanks I really enjoyed doing them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%