Marigold Flowers

Decorating By ckeel127 Updated 26 May 2015 , 3:19am by Apti

ckeel127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckeel127 Posted 17 May 2015 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

I'm looking to make marigold flowers (either out of fondant or gumpaste).  I cannot find any information on how to make these.  I don't see a cutter for it, tutorial or even cakes that have been made with a marigold topper.  Any ideas on how I can make these.  I attached a pic to show the two toned marigold

sh100030.jpg

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 May 2015 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 5

Purchase a set of Ateco Tear Drop Cutters (in at least 6 different sizes of teardrops).  Available online or in lots of cake supply stores. 

Use your fingers to "flatten" the end of each teardrop, then, if desired, make a "dent" in the middle of the flattened part.   Now you have a set of graduated sized cutters appropriate for a marigold.  You can make the marigold with or without wires following the same basic instructions needed for a peony, but modifying to get the "look" of a marigold.

I'd suggest the base color of dark yellow/orange for each petal, then use petal dust in a dark orange or orange/red color to create the shading in the center of each petal.  Start at the bottom of each petal and use a dry paint brush to bring the orange up into the petal, but stop short of the edges.

Apti Posted 17 May 2015 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 5

http://tikkido.com/blog/gumpaste-peony-tutorial    

This is a good tutorial to explain what I mean above.

ckeel127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckeel127 Posted 26 May 2015 , 1:27am
post #4 of 5

Thank you Apti!  I will try your suggestion. Wish me luck

Apti Posted 26 May 2015 , 3:19am
post #5 of 5

You'll do gorgeous marigolds--I have faith! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%