Vent...wilton's Latest Course (Gumpaste/fondant)

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 5:17am by LadyMike

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:04am
post #31 of 50

Yeah I got the kit...about time! Now...if I can only manage to sign up for the class -and it looks as though even though it's advertised as starting in February...it's not on the calendar icon_sad.gif So look's like it will be in March icon_cry.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:20am
post #32 of 50

Went to my first class last nite. This is a pretty basic fondant class and was hoping for more gum paste flowers, even just a rose in addition to the "fantasy flower" they will be teaching. I think Wilton (who I will be writing) should have made this a little more advanced than just doing a few drapes and a couple of flowers as most of us who take this class have already taken the first three and wanted a little more. Maybe it should have been primarily gumpaste flowers, with just a little fondant draping.

Deb

missy77510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy77510 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:35am
post #33 of 50

I just finished course 2 on wednesday and will be taking fondant and gumpaste along with course 3 This month. My instructor said she thought they should have put this course in between courses 2 and 3. I know she said that each Micheals store was only allowed to get 6 kits in. But can have up to 15 people in class. Our store sold out of the kits the first week they got them in. Luckily me and my mom got the last two. I really don't get it though, If you can have 15 people in class why not carry at least 10 kits. My store already had 10 people sign up for it. I can't wait though, I've never worked with fondant before. My classes here start Sunday!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:51am
post #34 of 50

I had gotten a similar run-around for a few months when I tried signing up for classes here. Two stores offered classes, but nobody knew when the next Course 1 was going to be. I had to call Wilton, e-mail Wilton, and complain several times to Wilton before I got them to understand that nobody had the next Course 1 scheduled. The people who answered the phones at the stores did not know, the people in charge of scheduling the courses did not know. The instructors knew, but they were never notified by either store that someone needed more information. And do not even think about trying to get the syllabus! And then - when I Did finally find someone who was smart enough to sign me up, the store lost the registration sheet, and they tried to make me pay again! Good thing I had my receipt with me. They had charged me full price, but the promotion was for half-price on the course, then half-price on the kit. They had to refund the rest of my fee.

When the instructor's job came open there, I decided it was in my best interest to Not apply for it, since nobody there knew what they were doing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:07pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

This is a pretty basic fondant class and was hoping for more gum paste flowers, ... Maybe it should have been primarily gumpaste flowers, with just a little fondant draping.

Please keep in mind that the basics of fondant were included in this course because all you need to take it is Course 1. You do not have to have previous fondant experince to have the class so they did need to cover that in the class as well.

I know that everyone would like to make some wonderful and outstanding gumpaste flowers like the pros do, but you do have to keep in mind Wilton's target audience. Wilton focuses their classes for the at home baker, the mom's that want to do cakes for their kids. Wilton classes are a beginning into the world of cake decorating.

You are not going to find flowers like Nic or Scott or even some of our very own CC do in the Wilton classes. Wilton does not have a way to train all of their instructors to do them. To make the outstanding gumpaste flowers you would play hundreds of dollars in classes.

Missy, the stores were intially sent 6 kits, but the store can order more. I had my store order another 6 of them right after we got the first ones in. I do not know how may they will have 'on hand', but the managers can order more to match what they need for the classes.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:06pm
post #36 of 50

I have heard several "complaints" about us not teaching the elaborate flowers and such in this class. As TS said above, this is a BASIC Wilton class. Introducing everyday folks to things that are possible to do with fondant and gumpaste. If you are wanting to learn the elaborate flowers and techniques, check out Nic Lodge or Colette Peters - to name a couple - they all have classes you can sign up for. I think for 15 - 30 bucks, the Wilton class is great for what it is.....an INTRODUCTION to a new medium. (and for the most part, the folks in my classes are tickled to have the opportunity to learn something new ~ most of them are NOT experienced in the different techniques)

MomLittr Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:16pm
post #37 of 50

You are all right, Wilton classes are basic for those of us just starting out, and they will be going over things I have not done and do look forward to learning. I guess when they said gum paste, I thought there would be a couple more flowers like what is in the gum paste flower kit, which I have and have been trying to teach myself. Just was hoping to see someone else do a couple (especially roses) to see if I am doing them right. The class does include carnations, which is one of my favorite flowers and will be happy to be shown it by someone. I know I will never get to the level of decorating to need to take a professional flower class, so for now guess will rely on myWilton book (which is very good by the way). icon_redface.gif

deb

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #38 of 50

Wilton DOES have an advanced gumpaste class. Ask your instructor if she is qualified to teach it. It will cost the same as all the other classes. The downside is that Wilton only lets those instructors that KNOW those flowers teach that course (which is NOT a downside IMO - you need to konw how to do them to properly teach them!) and there are not a lot of instructors that CAN teach that class. If one of my students asks me to help them with another flower - if time allows, I will certainly help them as much as I can.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:40pm
post #39 of 50

The problems with signing up for the class in your stores has to do with both your instructor and events coordinator.

The cashiers were to be told that they ring the students up using the same form as the other classes.

I live in Georgia and Our Store has a great Events Coordinator who keeps us up to date on whats going on with our classes.

Our Store has 2 instructors Me And one other. We set our own schedules and then we confer. with our EC. Many times we inform her about up coming events that she may not have recieved info on at that time.

Your Stores Events Coordinator is the one you should complain to if you are having problems signing up for classes.

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:16pm
post #40 of 50

I had my first class yesterday. I had never worked with fondant before and frankly was scared to death to try it. I have had cake 1 & 2 but haven't taken 3 yet (will do that is April) It really wasn't hard at all so all that fear for nothing....lol As for the fondant....ewwwww. That is the grossest tasting stuff I've ever tasted. There is no way I will ever put anything tasting that foul on my cakes. So I guess I will have to try MMF now. Is it hard to make???
When I signed up for my class they had no instuction sheets. There were also no kits in the store (I had seen them a few weeks before I signed up and purchased my kit with a 50% coupon). I call my instructor to see if I need 3 before I took the fondant/gumpaste class. I told her about the kits and she said she would get on Wilton to make sure there was enough stock. Have fun everyone!

MomLittr Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:55am
post #41 of 50

UPDATE - this week will be my last nite in the fondant/gumpaste class. I have learned a couple of things. My instructor was asking us our opinions of the course as the class she teaches at another store was sorely disappointed in this. We all pretty much agreed that the fondant basics can be taught in Course 3, and that we all came in with the idea of it being mostly gumpaste flowers. We also agreed that some of the items in the kit were not really up to par and it seemed just a way to sell fondant tools (the roller in particular, if you screw it too tight, it will not roll but if it is loose to be able to roll, it basically unscrews itself). She was asking as there is a survey by Wilton that she will fill out and wanted our input. I also plan (as well as a couple of others), once the course is over this week, to sit down and e-mail Wilton on what our expectations were, and how we felt the course went. Oh, and I will post my finanl project once it is done..........plan on taking one of the final cakes and giving it a little bit of a dressing up (using techniquest taught in the class of course), and adding a little bit of what I can do. How have the rest of you taking the course found it? icon_rolleyes.gif

deb

dessertprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertprincess Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:10am
post #42 of 50

i am currently taking this new gumpaste and fondant class at michaels. i enjoy it. i have taken all 3 levels of the wilton classes and my teacher has offered a few extra wilton classes. i have taken the gumpaste flower class and a special fondant class. and i have learned some new things in this class! i love the roller tool u get in the class package. i have 2 of them now. and they are great for getting a strip the perfect and uniform size! i would recommend this class. but too, i think the teacher helps makes the class! my teacher is a cake pro herself! she does this for a living and has taken classes at the wilton school and many seminars. she is willing to take the time to show us how to do the things in class and really explain it. and i do learn somehting new in each class. and as others have stated, it is an intro to what can be learned. wilton wants you to go to their school to take the master classes and the classes with the pros to learn the advance techinques! but i would definetly encourage you to talk to your instructor to see if they can teach you the other wilton classes. also, shop around at other stores. i have taken the first 2 courses about 3 times over 10 years. and i had have 4 different teachers, and this one is the BEST!! and having the right teacher helps a lot!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:39am
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

... (the roller in particular, if you screw it too tight, it will not roll but if it is loose to be able to roll, it basically unscrews itself)....

One thing that helps is if you have the Wilton on the handle facing up and push the tool away from you.

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:55pm
post #44 of 50

So far so good for the class, it is a bit basic, but that's what it's about isn't it? What do you seriously expect for $20?!?
The only thing that bothers me is on the first page of the book it tells you the things you are required to have, fondant, coloured fondant and a little wheely cutting tool. Why isn't the little wheely cutting tool included in the kit??

MomLittr Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 11:51am
post #45 of 50

I sort of felt bad at first being disappointed in what was taught in this class, but them when I heard another class almost didn't come back because they thought it was too basic, well I would not go that far. I just felt that the fondant covered cake was more or less taught in Class 3, and IM(humble)O, all three courses should be required before taking this one then they can teach more fondant decorations and more than just three gumpaste flowers. I have the gumpaste flower kit and am self-teaching - most of these could easily be taught in a classroom setting as if I can teach myself, a WI could do it without a problem. Actually looking forward to doing my final cake, with my personal touches this time!

deb

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:45pm
post #46 of 50

My only complaint is there isn't enough material in the course to fill up 8 hours. I have attended the 1st two nights of it and we have basically finished all the mateial for 3 nights! We are going to practice some extra flowers and some other techniques not in the course manual this week simply because there is no point in wasting the time.

tabby235 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabby235 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:04am
post #47 of 50

hi svs to hear you are having such a problem finding kits. At our Micheals
the very frist class was so full,they had to make 2 classes out of them.
so stay on top of it. I hope you still take the class. It is not hard ( if you took course 3) you will love it.. havew tried looking for another micheals
to find your kit . I have been told Micheals has the rights til May
so it is gonna be tuff going for awhile. as far as the instructor goes .
email wilton. with your complaint. good luck. icon_smile.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:09am
post #48 of 50

I didn't take the time to read all the post.

But, whenever I have to deal with Michael's the staff doesn't know. I go on such a run-a-round with them. And, this is merchandise and classes.

Here I thought it was just my store.

PS they are having a sale right now if you buy the kit the class is free

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:09am
post #49 of 50

Thank god! I got very last kit at my Micheals on Saterday.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 5:17am
post #50 of 50

I just got mine tonight and there was only one more left!!! I'm so excited!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%