Vent...wilton's Latest Course (Gumpaste/fondant)

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 5:17am by LadyMike

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:42am
post #1 of 50

Okay...I'm getting irritated. Supposedly Wilton's newest course will start in February at our local Michael's on Tuesday evenings. Fabulous, Wonderful, Great - sign me up! I have been trying and trying and TRYING to sign up for the class, but find that I can't enroll. Gee, the store has the circular posted that says classes start in February, and to enroll blah blah blah.

Okay so the store has the information posted, yet I can't enroll b/c no one can ring me up for the course b/c there is no barcode for the course -makes sense huh? thumbsdown.gif So I can't enroll for the course and I can't pay for the course.

Oh and I can't even buy the course kit b/c the store hasn't even received ANY of the kits...I have been in that store EIGHT times in the last 12 days, just to see if perhaps I could sign up and buy the kit...no can do, either time. It's not a matter that the store has received only 3-4 kits at a time and quickly sold them...they haven't received ANY kits...none! I've had to resort to giving the store my name & number w/ a note to call me when I can FINALLY pay for the course and buy the kit.

Forgive me in advance for my irritation, but how the devil will ANYONE be able to sign up for the course let alone take the course if we can't even sign up and pay for the course, or buy the course kit?! icon_evil.gif

I recognize that Wilton has nothing to do w/ the fact that the store isn't able to sign me up, etc., but aren't they just even remotely responsible for the fact that no kits have been sent to the store?!

I'm not happy...it will be my luck that b/c of the ongoing issues of not being able to sign up, that they won't even have a class in February due to "lack of interest"...grrr thumbsdown.gif

49 replies
susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:47am
post #2 of 50

GOt to wonder why they offer these courses then no one knows how to help you. I have had that happen before and it is so frustrating. Good luck with getting it straightened out and keep us posted.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:48am
post #3 of 50

Are you sure there is even an instructor for the store you are going to? I've been to a few and they have the class listed but when I asked they said they don't have an instructor so they can't sign up anyone yet. Some stores said that they won't be having a class until March because they have to wait to get someone in also.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #4 of 50

Did you try going to the manager to get things fixed? I know alot of the times the cashier can't do to much or might not know what to do for help or orders.

If they don't have it in the store though, are you able to buy it from online? At least you'll get it without all that worry/stress/problems. icon_smile.gif

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:55am
post #5 of 50

The persons responsible are
1 the instructor. she makes her schedule. She is also responsible for checking stock and making sure it is available to customers.
then#2 there's the store. Since Wilton is offering the course they should have to info, codes instruction books and supplies ready for customers who are interested in taking the couse. The person who order's Wilton's supplies may not know that it needed to be ordered.
Have fun taking the course if Micheals get's heir act together icon_biggrin.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:03am
post #6 of 50

I'm taking the same course in Feb. Here it is required that you have to have taken Wilton Course 1 before taking the fondant/gumpaste class. That's what my instructor told me in an email. It sounds like the problem your having lies on the cashier/stores. Talk to the manager. I'd also call the instructor. She might be able to get the cashier/store straightened out too icon_smile.gif Sometimes they are new & have never registered anyone for the classes. I had that problem when I was registering for Course 2. Good luck~ thumbs_up.gif

newlywedws Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #7 of 50

The store has TWO instructors (one regular, the other is bi-lingual), and I've already talked to the manager.
The only replies I've gotten from Michael's is that the 2 instructors were having to work out class times/schedules...last I checked, this was worked out already, the classes are on Tuesdays 6:30-8:30pm. Then let's see I have emailed the instructor w/ no reply...amazingly I *Was* able to get a class syllabus (that had all the info on it regarding class supplies, and interesting enough I picked up another syllabus, and it was different than the first one...even though it was for the same course icon_confused.gif I don't get it...am I destined to NOT take this class?!

Oh and regarding the wilton course kit, per the manager the kits HAVE been ordered...I'm so glad I don't have any freshly made cakes in my kitchen...I would probably be stomping it into the floor icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:51am
post #8 of 50

I'm really sorry you are having problems with signing up for this course. icon_sad.gif

Michaels were suppose to recieve 6 kits at the beginning of the year. I know hearing that and knowing that that store didn't doesn't help. The instructor should have also checked this as we were informed when our store was suppose to be recieving the kits and books.

The store Instructor and the EC at the store are the ones that should put the sign up sheets in the books. The barcode is the exact same on all of the course sheets so I don't understand why they don't have one in the book.

I know this doesn't help you or change your frustration. icon_sad.gif I would definetly keep on the store. If all else fails find out when the instructor is having her other classes, so that you can find her at the store before he class starts, and ask her about signing up for the class.

Hope this works out for you. HUGS!

Unless she is changing the class up from what is in the book, you will need the following items for the first night of the course:

Tools From Your Kitchen
Reusable, disposable cloths
2 tablespoons of white vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
Toothpicks
Corsage Pin
Scissors
Scotch Tape
Plastic food storage wrap
2 or 3 gallon size food storage bags
2 or 3 quart size food storage bags

Icings
1 package of White Fondant (24oz size)
1 Fondant Multi-pack (Primary or Pastel)
Piping Gel or White Piping Gel Tube

Decorating Tools and Supplies
Fondant and Gum Paste Student Kit
2 12 inch cake circles + Fanci-foil or 12" Silver Cake Base
Roll & Cut Mat
20" rolling pin
Small angled spatula
Disposable Decorating Gloves (optional)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:46am
post #9 of 50

It's not just your store strange things are happening in my store also. I called the store to ask when the course would begin, they told me Feb 3rd. There are no kits in the store because I was in there twice last week. I called the instructor to ask her why she didn't tell me the course would begin Feb 3rd. She responded she didn't know either.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 50

I was finally able to sign up yesterday for class at my local Michaels (who did not have a schedule until this weekend). The store closer to my job has been signing folks up for over a week now.....guess it depends on the store, some are better than others. One question I have for all you Wilton Instructors.....do I need to use Wilton fondant, or can I bring in my MMF, both white and colored? icon_rolleyes.gif If so, what colors do you recommend I bring? Have to buy the kit before Thursday nite, and after looking at it on the shelf, have most of those things, but not everything.....so I will have doubles, never can tell when one will break or get lost, so that is not too bad a thing I guess. So excited......can't wait! I have done these on my own, but feel I need some proper instruction.

deb

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 50

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to give you all my comments on the new Wilton Course. I signed up yesterday for it at Michael's. Our first class is Feb. 10th at 7:00 pm. It had been advertised on the flyer for $12.50 for four classes yet when I went to the cashier she said it was $15.00. She did give it to me for $12.50 since that was the way the flyer read. So far, I was the only one who had signed up. She gave me the Class Syllabus and of course, I have all those items plus most of the items in the kit. I do not want to purchase doubles but still need the book so if there are any instructors reading this maybe you can let me know if I can just purchase the book without having to purchase the whole kit. The kit is $29.95. I would also like to know if the class is primarily Fondant or is the focus equally on gumpaste as well. I'm really more interested in the gumpaste than the fondant. Thanks for your feedback. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 50

PaulaT, the calenders I saw in both stores said the class was half price - regular price being $30, so I paid $15 for the 4 classes. still a decent price in my eyes. Does the book come with the kit? In my other classes, the instructor hands out the book. I plan on using a coupon to buy the kit, which at $29.99 regularly is as much as the classes! Yikes! icon_surprised.gif Thankfully either Rag Shp or AC Moore usually has 40% coupons in the newspapers on Sunday (maybe Michaels will too), so the kit will come to about $18 - still high for a bunch of plastic, but at this point have spent so much on pans, etc..... what is another $18! icon_lol.gif

deb

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 50

I tried to sign up early this month and the manager of Michaels asked me if I want to teach the class. The store did have plenty of kits, but since I have so many supplies I'm going to hold off on buying the kit right now. I guess I will go back this week and see if they have a teacher yet.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:28pm
post #14 of 50

I signed up last week with no problems. They had about 3 kits on the shelf. I am so excited for this class.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 50

Deb, If you don't want doubles, of some things, you can always purchase the pieces you are missing to make the complete kit. As far as the cost of the kit, if you buy the pieces (that you can buy) seperately it costs more than if you were to purchase the kit. So while it does sound expensive, there is alot of things in it, and they do add up in cost.

As far as the MMF, I'd ask the instructor about it. I haven't worked with it, so I don't know how it does with drapping and things like that.

Paula, as of Jan 6th (or something like that) the Wilton classes at Michaels went up to $30. We did not find out about it until the first of the year. So if the instructor had already placed signs up they could have had the wrong price on them.

At Michaels you recieve the Lesson book (free) on the first night of class. The class is a mixture of Fondant, Gumpaste and a blend of the both. You will cover a cake board and cake in fondant. You will use the Fondant/Gumpaste Blend to make Drapes, a handkerchief style overlay, ribbon garland/border, and a fondant favor box. You will use gumpaste to make the Carnation, Daisy, and Fantasy flower. And then you will use the fondant agian when you make borders and overlays.

Hope this helps answer the questions posted here. If anyone has any more, just ask, and I will try to answer them for you. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 50

Thanks for the info TSugar! Guess I will just bite the bullet and get a small wilton fondant - with a coupon of course! Heck, flowers & drapes won't be eaten anyway. However, when it comes to actually covering a cake - MMF all the way!

deb thumbs_up.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #17 of 50

I was wondring why the class was called fondant and gumpaste, but the supply list doesn't have gumpaste on it?

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:10am
post #18 of 50

The supply list I attached is just for the first night of class. You will use gum paste in the other lessons in the course.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:26am
post #19 of 50

Okay, I am SOO sorry for all the problems signing up at Michael's and I'm not laughing AT you, but, WITH you!!

Is it like....a RULE....that at any Michael's from "sea to shining sea" that the Wilton kits are not there; the flyer is wrong; the cashier can't help you and MY personal fav...the manager has no idea what you are talking about!! LOLL This happened to me at the Michael's in Indiana almost EVERY class I took! It was ALWAYS a problem!

You know how if you are taking the Wilton Course you are supposed to get a percentage off your purchases? Or at least WE were. My cake buddies and I went to EVERY class they offered (All Three Wiltons) one right after the other. We were there a total of 12 weeks!! Literally EVERY time we purchased something at least one of us would get grief from the cashier about whether or not we were Wilton students!!!! Not different cashiers mind you.....these people had been there ALL ALONG and SEEN us for 12 weeks!! LOLL

Ya gotta laugh!

Beth in KY

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:08am
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The supply list I attached is just for the first night of class. You will use gum paste in the other lessons in the course.

Should I buy my gumpaste now or just wait?

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:30am
post #21 of 50

FYI, for those of you who have all the gear for Courses 2 and 3, you can buy the respective books online. I think I got them from countrykitchen.com

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

Should I buy my gumpaste now or just wait?

It wouldn't hurt to buy it now.

On Saturday, Feb. 10th Michaels will be having a class preview. On months that we have class previews they usually have a speical 20% off coupon for class supplies, instead of the usual 10%. So you may want to wait to see if your instructor has any of these, before buying it.

This is the supply list that I plan to hand out to my students. Please keep in mind that it includes the things used in class from the first lesson through the first part of lesson 4. Since the students get to pick from 4 different cakes to complete in lesson 4 there will be some addition items, such as more fondant needed for the final cake at the end of the course.

Wilton Supplies needed for Fondant and Gum paste Course:

Required
- Fondant and Gum Paste Student Kit (Fondant Ribbon Cutter/Embosser,
Fondant Decorative Punch Set, Ball and Veining tool, Thin Shaping
foam, Round Cut Outs, Daisy Cut Outs, Leaf Cut Outs, Heart Cut Outs,
Daisy Cookie Cutter, Flower Stamens, and Dusting Pouch)
- 2 pkg White Fondant (24oz)
- 1 or 2 pkg Fondant Multi-pack (Primary or Pastel)
- 1 pkg Ready to use Gum Paste
- 1 package 12 inch cake circles + Fanci-foil or 12" Silver Cake Bases
- Piping Gel or White Piping Gel Tube
- Roll & Cut Mat Or Dividing Wheel (C3 Kit)
- 20" rolling pin
- 9in Rolling Pin
- Practice Board (C1 Kit)
- Cookie Treat Stick
- Wilton Standard Muffin Pan OR Foil Baking Cups
- Wilton Mini Muffin Pan OR Foil Bon Bon (mini) Cups

Strongly Suggested:
- Cutter/Embosser
- 3 piece brush set
- Small angled spatula
- Tapered Spatula

Optional:
- Yellow & Pink Shimmer Dust
- Spiral Pattern Roller
- Easy- Glide Fondant Smoother
- Disposable Decorating Gloves

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:29pm
post #23 of 50

I just saw the kits in our Michaels but the class isn't being offered until March. Anyone have any idea how many classes in the course require actual cakes?

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:30pm
post #24 of 50

I was really excited about this class but was a little deflated when I saw the Lesson Book - I was hoping for a little more on gum paste. Regardless, I'm gonna be there - assuming my store has it's stuff together and I can register tonight!!

MomLittr Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:39pm
post #25 of 50

They are asking for alot of supplies, especially the fondant. I think I will make my own white fondant, but purchase the colored ones. The 20" rolling pin is a bit pricy, even with a coupon......have a nice wooden one (my DH's grandmothers) that I use for fondant - actually use for everything! After the first nite I will see if I really need more stuff. Did get the kit though, as I didn't have any of the cutters included. Can't wait....two more nites.... icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:43pm
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerlady

I just saw the kits in our Michaels but the class isn't being offered until March. Anyone have any idea how many classes in the course require actual cakes?

Two cakes, both 8in rounds. One in Lesson 2 and One in Lesson 4.

newlywedws Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:11am
post #27 of 50

Okay -still haven't been able to sign up...hoping for tomorrow, when they will be getting more Wilton supplies *crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath for the kit*

I realize that the items called for indicate a package of primary or pastel coloured fondant in addition to the white fondant.

Do you think it would be a "no-no" to buy the package of fondant that has the purple in it (purple's my fav colour)?

TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:32am
post #28 of 50

I don't see why it would hurt to by the neon colors. I was looking at those myself. I think the blue, yellow, pink and green may get boring month after month. I might need a change every now and then. icon_smile.gif You can also take the primary colors and mix them as well.

The cakes in the book are done in the four colors mentioned above, but you could easily do them in any color you want. What I would do is use a different color for your cake in lesson 2, which is a sample cake that you will put the three techinques you learn in class on. Save the purple for your final cake. icon_smile.gif

In the new Fondant and Gum Paste course you will use the pre colored fondant to color your fondant, make your fondant/gum paste blend and to color some parts for your flowers.

darby822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darby822 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #29 of 50

I signed up for the fondant/gumpaste class but I have to miss the first night. I let my instructor know that I would miss the first week and she is fine with it. I asked her to call me with the list of supplies I will need to bring for the second week but I know she will forget. She told me to call and remind her but she NEVER checks her messages. (I've been taking classes with her for 12 weeks now so I know her pretty well by this point.)

Can any of you ladies who are instructors tell me what I will need to bring to the second week of this class?

TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:50pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darby822

Can any of you ladies who are instructors tell me what I will need to bring to the second week of this class?

I PMed you with this information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%