Cottage Food Law Tx: Unsafe Items? Cream Cheese Icing And Others

Business By amartin1900 Updated 15 May 2015 , 5:33pm by SquirrellyCakes

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 14 May 2015 , 1:46am
post #1 of 6

I have gone through the forums but most of them are for other states. One of my buttercream recipes is 25% butter, 25% cream cheese, 50% powdered sugar and is shelf stable. But the rules are no cream cheese. I just discovered this. Am I liable for fines now? What happens to violators? I am a certified food safe kitchen manager, so I would never risk my customers with contamination.

Someone posted that their cream cheese frosting was approved because it was 60% sugar. Anyone have any insight?

Thank you so much!

5 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 May 2015 , 2:29am
post #2 of 6

If you are in Texas, they have a cottage food law group that has tested recipes.  Contact them.  You can buy the recipes cheaply. 

Also, most states have a procedure for getting a recipe tested.  It usually costs under $100.   They will tell you if your recipe is OK.

I think, they mean you can't use cream cheese unless it has been tested and verified by a lab.  If you have documentation, the health department should be fine.

amartin1900 Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I did find Food Safety Net. They do testing. There is also an ebook I bought for $9 that has tons of already tested recipes, including cream cheese frosting. Perfect! 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

Would you mind sharing the link to the E -book?  I bet a lot of people would like to have it.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 May 2015 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you. I am in Canada but it is always interesting to see what recipes were tested to compare to what we use.  I bet a lot of people will check this out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%