Tree Branches

Decorating By lgb1063 Updated 12 May 2015 , 11:49pm by CatherineGeorge

lgb1063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgb1063 Posted 12 May 2015 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding cake and the bride's mother wants flowers on branches (fairly thick branches) cascading down the cake. She wants a buttercream cake.  I live in South GA, and it's already 90 degrees and humid here during the day, so using modeling chocolate isn't an option.  Can I make the branches out of fondant and glue the flowers to it.  I am just concerned how I will make the fondant branches stick to the buttercream.  Any suggestions would be so appreciated.  

Thanks,

Lisa

2 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 12 May 2015 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 3

Use fondant or gumpaste - gumpaste dries harder and allows for more finer petals and twigs, as it is stronger.  Gumpaste/fondant flowers glue perfectly to gumpaste/fondant branches with water or sugar glue.

If the branches can touch the cake/board below for extra stability, that is great.  If the branch is still too heavy, perhaps insert toothpicks/cocktail sticks into the back of the branch before inserting straight into the cake horizontally.  Remember to tell the venue/cake cutter to remove all the toothpicks before serving to the guest.

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 12 May 2015 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 3

I just made a similar cake with branches made out of floral wire wrapped in floral tape. You might consider that method. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%