Recipes For Emergency Fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 11 May 2015 , 12:46pm by tastefullysweet

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 9

If you have ever run out of gum paste or need some fondant in a hurry, these might be handy.  

Marshmallow Fluff and some powdered (icing) sugar is a quick way to make up marshmallow fondant.  Grease a bowl with shortening.   Grease your fingers with a bit of shortening and knead.  When it feels like your regular fondant consistency, you have added enough powdered sugar.  I do this when I need small amounts for decorations.  If you need larger amounts about 1 pound powdered sugar to one jar of Marshmallow Fluff is about accurate.  Start with increments of 1/2 cup powdered sugar at a time.  If making large amounts to cover a cake you will want to plastic wrap your fondant and let it rest overnight.  For decorations or for tops of small things like cupcakes I use right away.

For emergency gum paste you can add Fixodent false teeth powder adhesive to either the Marshmallow Fluff Fondant or regular fondant.  When many of us could not access tylose here in Canada, this is what we used.  It contains tylose (under the chemical name) and is food-safe and cheap and easy to find.  You wouldn't eat gum paste decorations anyway as they are too hard on the teeth. But since falseteeth are in your mouth, this product is foodsafe.  I recently used this combo for an Olaf for my granddaughter and it dried quickly and well.  It only takes a teaspoon or two for about 1/4 cup fondant.

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 May 2015 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 9

Quote by @SquirrellyCakes on 20 minutes agoFor emergency gum paste you can add Fixodent false teeth powder adhesive to either the Marshmallow Fluff Fondant or regular fondant.  When many of us could not access tylose here in Canada, this is what we used.  It contains tylose (under the chemical name) and is food-safe and cheap and easy to find.  You wouldn't eat gum paste decorations anyway as they are too hard on the teeth. But since falseteeth are in your mouth, this product is foodsafe.  I recently used this combo for an Olaf for my granddaughter and it dried quickly and well.  It only takes a teaspoon or two for about 1/4 cup fondant.

That is the grossest and funniest thing I've heard today.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9

Costumeczar, haha it is funny and gross. But living in Canada and trying to get new products especially back 15-20 years ago and even now, was and sometimes still is a nightmare. The products took forever before they were or are available here. Much of the time the American companies wouldn't ship here. If you did find a company that would ship, the shipping costs were or are prohibitive. Add the duty taxes and broker fees and it was and often still is... not worth the cost. Hence several Canucks would find or figure out a substitute. Heck even when our dollar was worth more than U.S.dollars we were still being charged more even without the other fees. Haha, yeah I am whining. But on the plus side often our American cake buddies would make purchases for us and send them. Or we would put our heads together and come up with something similar. Made a lot of cake pals from all over the world because of that. Gives a whole new meaning to, "Fixodent and forget it".

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:33am
post #4 of 9

I used powdered dentures adhesive in place of Tylose in Germany as well. Apparently, it's the same thing! Forgot all about it, so thanks for reminding me!

tastefullysweet Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:35am
post #5 of 9

Squirrelly, where in Canada are you? We just moved back to Canada (well, barely - landed right here at the land's end in Newfoundland!) after 12 years in Germany!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:44am
post #6 of 9

Haha, love your description of where you landed.  Wonderful people in Newfoundland and the landscape is uniquely beautiful.  The weather, not so much especially this year.  What a change in venue for you!  Had a chuckle when you said you had to use the denture adhesive too!  I am in Canada's capital -  Ottawa.

tastefullysweet Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:57am
post #7 of 9

Both mine and my husband's families are in Toronto, everyone was so excited we were moving closer, but we only got halfway LOL It's still 3000 km away! But at least we are in the same country ;)
The weather sucks, but my garage is so cold, I don't have to buy another fridge! Bonus!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 May 2015 , 1:17am
post #8 of 9

Huge savings on the fridge!  I lived in Ajax for 11 years.  Not cheap to fly from Newfoundland to Toronto either.

tastefullysweet Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 9

No, not cheap, but much cheaper than from Germany! Much faster too :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%